We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Spitzkoppe on the way down from Damaraland?

Which Swakopmund hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Spitzkoppe on the way down from Damaraland?

We are going to be travelling down from Damaraland to Swakopmund via Uis and I am trying to work out if it is possible to take a detor via Spitzkoppe down the D1930 we will be in a 2x4. Or will that make it a really long drive, I am aware that the drive will be about 6 hrs before I think about adding in a detor but no idea how much time that could add.

It looks like it is worth visiting so perhaps we would be better doing it as a day trip from Swakopmund, I have read it can take between 1 or 2 hours depending on where I am researching which is quite a time difference...

Any thoughts/suggestions very welcome!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Spitzkoppe on the way down from Damaraland?

Emma if you are just in a 2x4 do it as a daytrip from Swakop, it is not a good road from Uis and I really wouldn't recommend it.

If you go from Swakop you just have a short drive from the tar road on slightly bad gravel, but from Uis it isn't good and is going to really add a lot of driving time to your day.

You can get there in an hour and a half from Swakop no bother.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Spitzkoppe on the way down from Damaraland?

If you are visiting the Klein Spitzkoppe do hike up the rocks to the caves & rock art, not far from the Spitzkoppes is the Erongo which is also well worth a visit or stay overnight in the small towns of Usakos or Karabib, I love this region !

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Spitzkoppe on the way down from Damaraland?

Thanks Gemma, day trip it is!

Thanks braaiseason one of the reasons for going there is to go to Bushman's Paradise.

4. Re: Visiting Spitzkoppe on the way down from Damaraland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 07, 2011