We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power surge protectors

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Power surge protectors

If you plan on using laptops or electrical equipment that requires charging up at any point in Namibia please, please make sure that you bring with you a power surge protector.

The electrical system here can be a little floopy and surges will blow up something in your chargers.

Replacement laptops chargers are not easy to come by in Namibia unless you are in Windhoek, and only then for specific brands. So if like me you have a Dell computer then a replacement charger is harder to find than yeti poo!

The universal chargers also only work on certain brands.

So in short always have your equipment plugged in with surge protection...otherwise you can end up in a bit of a pickle!

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Power surge protectors

Thanks for that tip! I will add that to my shopping list of 'must gets'

sallylondonlondon
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Power surge protectors

What a great hint. Thank you

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Power surge protectors

Has anyone in the UK found a good one? I have found a couple but they don't work in SA so i am guessing won't work in Namibia. Ideally I can get one that charges 2 things at once but that is not a deal breaker. Thanks!

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Power surge protectors

My original one I got in SA, and lent it to someone (leading to the frying of my charger and the original idea for this post!)

I have another one now which I got in Swakop but I can't make out the numbers on it as it was second hand.

I'll have a look in the shops on Monday and see if there are specific number bits it needs to have in order to work here...might make it easier to find one in England?

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Power surge protectors

Thanks Gemma, please don't worry about looking I'm planning on getting one before we fly out but can't find a decent one when I looked. Hopefully someone from the UK got one recently and will point me to where they got theirs.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Power surge protectors

I bought one a few years back online...afraid I can't remember from what website though!!!

7. Re: Power surge protectors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, May 06, 2011