We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

Minneapolis, MN
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

I'm traveling to Namibia in October of this year. I'm self-driving from Swakopmund to Damaraland Camp and am debating over the best route to drive - looking for the most scenic. If we drive up the west coast to Torra Bay will we see much of the ocean? I hear the drive through Henties Bay and Uis would be quite boring... any suggestions?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

Hi kjritter,

First Question 4x4 or standard saloon?

How experinced are you in such terrain?

The coast road via Cape Cross, turning off just before Torra to head inland is a reasonable route in 4x4 not sure I would go that way in asaloon car.

You will see the Ocean and skeleton boats etc., plus the Cape seal Colony of 250,000 Fur seals.

Havinsaid that the 'normal route via C35 is much easier and I did not think it boring. Scenery is magnificent the closer you get to the west of Khorixas area.

Whatever Car or route you take, do make sure you have adequate reserves of fuel and provisions for yourselves. It is very sparse country.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

Anyone I've spoken to about that coast road says it is very boring.

You have to realise you either drive a monotous coast road or across the gravel plains of the Namib Desert. I chose the desert to see the mountains, eg Brandberg massif. If you take the C35 and then the d2612, you will pass the Burnt Mountain and the rock art at Twyfelfontein - which is worth a detour.

NYC
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

can anyone tell me how long this drive takes?

Is one especially longer than the other?

I am planning a similar route!

Thanks.

Miami
Level Contributor
5 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

Can you advise which route you chose and how it worked out? We are planning to drive from Swakopmund to the Twyfelfontein area in April. Since we will have only one night in that area before having to make our way back to Windhoek, would you recommend going the extra distance to Twyfelfontein, or was Brandberg a similar experience? We have read good good reviews of the Brandberg area and are concerned we might be tackling too much territory. Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

Hello,

FWIW I found this drive the most boring one on my trip -- it took about 7 hours (and felt a lot longer). We took the coastal route.

Cheers,

Julian

South Africa
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

It is a boring road!! We travelled to try to get to Brandberg via Uis and couldnt get through because the Omaruru River was flooding. We also tried to get through via Khorixas and couldnt get through because of the River. The road via Uis is horrible!!!

(we did our trip in February).

7. Re: best route Swakopmund to Damaraland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 26, 2009