We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Swakopmund or Walvis Bay?

usa
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Swakopmund or Walvis Bay?

Which is a better place to stay regarding general safety perspective? I prefer to be in a place where I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder when I am outside my hotel - which would be a better option in that respect?

Thanks

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Swakopmund or Walvis Bay?

I have only brief experiences in both towns and I did not have to "look over the shoulder" in either one. Walvis Bay is mostly port town (but a nice port town) and Swakopmund is a regular beach holiday town. Common sense and street smart ... but you have been around so you know the drill.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Swakopmund or Walvis Bay?

I was not really worried in either town. Common sense goes a long way. I do think more people traveling choose Swakopmund. It is a little more situated for tourist, in my opinion.

I would choose Swak over Walvis bay. Not for safety, but for scenery and layout

3. Re: Stay in Swakopmund or Walvis Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:35 am, December 13, 2016
Edited: 9:35 am, December 13, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Swakopmund or Walvis Bay?

I take advice from the local, well respected, Lodge owners where we stayed in Swak , who advise any night outs for dinner don't walk , either drive, or take taxi service which they recommended. There have been opportunistic muggings and targeting of tourists after dark for theft of wallets, cameras etc.

5. Re: Stay in Swakopmund or Walvis Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 15, 2017