We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming at Pemba Beach Hotel

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming at Pemba Beach Hotel

Hi. One of the reviews for the Pemba Beach Hotel said, "The beach is loaded with sea urchins and dangerous rocks. YOU CANNOT SWIM in the OCEAN at Pemba Beach Hotel."

Has anyone else found this? Whilst the hotel has a swimming pool, you can't beat a swim and snorkel in the sea, so it would be good to find out if this is possible!

South Africa
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming at Pemba Beach Hotel

The sea right on front of the resort does have a lot of coral and rocks, so you can't really swim there. However, there is a very nice beach about 5 minutes from the resort - Wimbe Beach.

You will be able to snorkel off the jetty, in front of the resort or they will take you out on a boat to the reefs nearby.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming at Pemba Beach Hotel

Baie dankie AfricaStay!

I wasn't sure if the Pemba Beach Hotel was right on Wimbe beach or just next to it, so that's very helpful.

Do you know Pemba well? The Pemba Beach Hotel seems very expensive for a 3 Star hotel, although it would be good to have all non-motorised water sports included, plus tennis courts, etc. It also hasn't exactly received great reports on TripAdvisor, but some of that is definitely due to the confusion over the 5 Star/3 Star thing.

The other place we've been considering is the Nautilus Beach Resort, which seems to be right on Wimbe beach.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Al (Phileas_Haar)

Mozambique till end...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming at Pemba Beach Hotel

I am in Mozambique now. You can swim from Pemba Beach Hotel with Mask and snorkle, I rate this as okay - if you really need a swim. The hotel is very plush. Much more low key is the Nautilus, here you can wander 15 metres in to the sea - over a good beach. With my own money I would go for the Nautilus.

Level Contributor
49 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming at Pemba Beach Hotel

This is the problem with Pemba -- such a young tourist industry, no competition, real expensive but no service or amenities.

The Nautilus was right on the beach so be awarned that your morning coffee will be accompanied by people taking their morning shower and dump in front of you in the sea. We really struggled with pemba, honestly . Moved our flight earlier as we were just not prepared to enjoy the area. Would advise to use it as a transfer to the carimbas or out west to one of the parks.

5. Re: Swimming at Pemba Beach Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:25 am, September 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Pemba
More Pemba Topics