We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in Essaouira?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling in Essaouira?

We are a family of 3 travelling to Morocco for a week at the end of April. We are spending a few days in Essaouira and have been looking into possible activities for us to do on or around the beach.

In the sports and activities section of the things to do snorkelling is listed but we can't find any other information or recommendations on this.

We each have a snorkel but don't want to pack it unnecessarily.

Can anyone help?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in Essaouira?

Essaouira is a wonderful little town with lots of activities, cuisine and cultural attractions, but as an ex scuba diver I have to say that snorkelling offshore is not a pastime that I would recommend. This is partly because the ecology is not too fascinating and partly because the sea currents can be unpredictable. You will enjoy the many other activities on offer. Have a great trip.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in Essaouira?

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm sure we'll have an amazing time. We're all really looking forward to a little taste of Morocco.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in Essaouira?

i wouldn't pack it...there didn't seem to be any reefs around there...would want to snorkel to see colorful fish? or just to snorkel? the waves were very smooth when we were there, and hopefully for you, they will be swimmable.

have fun, that is a great, laid back town.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling in Essaouira?

Hi,

Essaouira is much more well known for it's water sports (wind/kite surfing etc) than for swimming or snorkeling, there are no reefs nor anything else of interest to a snorkeler (? though it sounds like a good word :-) There is also horse riding and camel treks on the beach and out to the surrounding countryside.

I'm sure you will be able to find enough to occupy your family for a few days in this lovely wee town.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling in Essaouira?

Reefs in the North Atlantic? Colourful fish? Don't think so! Waves are very seldom smooth enough for swimming because of the winds as anyone that has spent more than a day or so will know.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling in Essaouira?

like i said, there aren't any reefs, thus no colorful fish.. some people just like to get int he water and use the snorkel...like in aruba, where the reefs are dead, but folks are still there in their snorkel gear!!the water was smooth enough when we were there to swim, and how fun for us...a cool dip , after a hot day of buying local goods!!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling in Essaouira?

Thank you for all the info. Much appreciated. Definitley three less things to pack.

We have read up on the Camel trekking and quad biking and hope to give them a go. Maybe if time and weather permit a half day of watersports.

Thanks again.

8. Re: Snorkelling in Essaouira?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 am, June 19, 2013