We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casablanca to Essaouira

Which Essaouira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town
Level Contributor
43 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Casablanca to Essaouira

We are renting a car in Casablanca and driving down to Essaouira. Are there any interesting stops along the route?

We will be spending 3 nights in Ess. My husband is a surfer - are there any good surf spots nearby, and if so is it possible to hire a surfboard there?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casablanca to Essaouira

I was in Essaouira last week, there were lot of people surfing along the waters as far as you could see. It was quite windy and the perfect conditions to catch the waves. There were lots of places to hire surfboards around the beach area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casablanca to Essaouira

Is Essaouira a surf destination (as in board surfing, not kitesurfing)?? I had read it was only kitesurfing because of the strong winds. I surf too and am planning a trip down there in October (and I apologize if I'm hijacking but it's somewhat related) but was considering Taghazout instead, though I'd really prefer to stay in Essaouira since it's so pretty, and Taghazout seems a bit out of the way.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casablanca to Essaouira

On the main beach areas of Essaouira you will find kite surfing, you have to travel 10km south to Sidi Kaouki for board surfing.

If you want the bigger waves then yes you will have to travel to Taghazout, this is around 10km north of Agadir.

Edited: 7:09 am, March 16, 2012
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casablanca to Essaouira

Thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of Sidi Kaouki - might be a more convenient option than Taghazout.

5. Re: Casablanca to Essaouira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:40 pm, June 19, 2013