We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip during the music festival?

Which Essaouira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Day trip during the music festival?

Hi everyone,

So we're going to be in marrakech at the end of june and wanted to make a day trip to essaouria for some relaxing beach time. we could technically avoid the music festival if we wanted but at the same time i'm quite excited to see what it's all about.

Looking on the website i see the performances all take place very late in the evening and as its only a day trip we'll have left by the time they start. My question is; are there any noticeable differences during the day when the performances aren't taking place? If we're not going to see any of the live music do you suggest coming to essaouira before the festival begins as it won't be as busy or is it still worth it for the atmosphere?

I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question as i accept it is quite broad. Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mez :)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip during the music festival?

Morning Mez-P !

Your question is not silly(at all!) and full of sense as..in fact Essaouira which is very laid back atmospheric little town pass from 30000 people more or less to ten times more for four days..

…and even if the event is incredible..

you will not find Essaouira as peaceful and easy with all turbulences even if again ,it is a great festival and a very exceptional music event with the Gnawas musicians who are really incredible and with the participation of a lots of other music influences mixed with gnaws musicians which sometimes create absolutely AMAZING CONCERTS!

i can tell as loving Gnawas since twenty five years;;THAT THIS EVEN IS WORTH BEEN SEEN AT LEAST ONCE!

But..you will not find Essaouira as peaceful (a tall!) and all will be full!

Sometimes, you may not even be able to walk on the beach during the festival..as .. a lot are sleeping there after dancing ( a lot!!) and drinking;.( a lot too!!)

Even not easy to find some bread sometimes there when so much are in the town .!!

So..my advice ?

..come two days before if possible and enjoy the beginning of the music festival which would be a perfect mixed..WITH FIRST RELAXING AND THAN ENJOYING THE MUSIC EVENT!

Have a great stay!

Cheers ,Oliver.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip during the music festival?

We were there for the festival some years ago. I seem to remember that there were some 'fringe' events in the day. Also some bars will have live music - try Taros for lunch - they are sure to have something on. It is wonderful during the festival - there's a buzz - even on the beach you will hear something as I remember speakers along the promenade. Yes it will be busier, but if you are a music lover then I think you'll enjoy it.

3. Re: Day trip during the music festival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 03, 2012