We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Belle Mar Plage

Which Pointe de Flacq hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Diving Belle Mar Plage

How many days diving to obtaina PADI certificate at the dive centre. What's the cost?

Sydney,
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving Belle Mar Plage

Please do not quote me on this but I got an email from a Dive centre from Bell Mar Plage and I was advised that it would take 4 days to get a PADI Cert and the cost is approx 380 Euro. That is too long and too expensive in my view so we are going to do it in Australia before we leave and then pay the 115 euro for the actual dives.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving Belle Mar Plage

Hi,

Can't help with prices but take a look here http://www.bluesdiving.net/eng/cours.htm there's some contact details for the dive centre which is located at BMP.

To qualify as a PADI Open Water Diver you have to:

Read the PADI Manual, Complete the Knoweledge Reviews and watch accompanying DVD.

Take a number of sessions (usually 5 in the UK) in a pool to learn and perfect the skills required.

Complete 4 Open Water dives.

Complete exam.

There's a couple of ways you can get qualified:

1. Complete a full course either at home or on holiday.

2. Do what's called a Referral course. Which means you complete the theory and skills sessions at home and complete the 4 Open water dives on holiday.

There's pro's and con's to each. Option 1 means some time spent reading, learning and watching a DVD which some people aren't keen on whilst on holiday.

Option 2 results in you only being qualified to dive in the environment similar to the one you qualified in. So for example if you did the open water dives in Mauritius that's a very different environment to say diving off the coast of Scotland!! That's not to say you couldn't in the future, just that you'd need probably some dry suit training (which may happen as part of your theory in the UK anyway).

The PADI training is very flexible and it's not difficult but a little time consuming.

I disagree totally with the previous poster that it takes too long. In my view it should be longer. Simply put this is your life you are dealing with. If something goes wrong on a dive, having the skills you learn during your Open Water training could save it!

Whichever option you choose though, you'll love it :-)

Cheers

Rob

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,394 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving Belle Mar Plage

For a PADI course you are normally looking at 5 days tuition which includes studying and diving.

Its a case of whether you wish to spend 5 days in Mauritius learning to dive.

N8RJG is correct about it not being long enough. One of the criticisms of PADI has always been that anyone can call themselves a diver after doing one of their courses and diving can be a dangerous activity.

4. Re: Diving Belle Mar Plage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Pointe de Flacq