We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

india
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

Me, my wife and 10 year old son are visiting Mauritius this week. Have to make last minute bookings. Staying for 6 nights so thought to split it into 2 resorts, 3 nights each. Getting very good rates on all these hotels. Which ones to opt for? We like the beach but are not very adventurous. We would also like to move around Mauritius.

We were thinking first 3 nights in Hilton/Intercontinental and the last 3 nights at Lux belle mare? Have read paradoxical reviews of Intercon especially about its bad service. Have also heard it is quite secluded. But isn't Lux belle mare also secluded?

Another thing is that we are vegetarians, though Indian food is not a must. Should we go half board or bed& breakfast? Need your tips quickly, since 2 days to go! Thanks!

Sundivers
Scuba & Snorkeling
Taxi a Maurice
Swim with Dolphins, Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

We recently did the undersea walk which was a fabulous experience. Felt perfectly safe during the whole thing. We also enjoy snorkelling both from the beach and off the hotel's snorkelling boat.

Agree with Bronia and Mazza - I wouldn't split my stay. You'll waste at least half a day of your holiday. Mauritius is small enough to move around and see everything you need to from one hotel.

Have a wonderful holiday!!!!

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

Plenty of activities and you'll find many operators to choose from.

Catamaran trips are popular sometimes encompassing dolphin watching and snorkelling as well as a barbeque. Undersea walk we did a couple of years ago from Grand Baie and enjoyed, a one off though. Hotels offer a range of watersports free of charge, kayaking, pedaloes, glass bottom boat etc., some include water skiing FOC too.

Mazza :-)

india
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

Thanks guys. Thanks to your advice, looking forward to a great trip. :)

india
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

Back from a wonderful holiday in Mauritius! Thank you all!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

So glad that you enjoyed it! Hope you do a review.

Dee

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,391 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

Great to hear back from you!

Did you divide your time between east and west as you originally planned?

Bronia :)

india
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

Yes, stayed at the Intercon and Lux Belle Mare- 3 nights each.Both are very good, though LMB is much better.

india
Level Contributor
11 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

Yes Dee, wrirting reviews for all the hotels, restaurants and attractions we visited. And thanks for the half board tip Bronia- it worked pretty well!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,391 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

So pleased it worked out for you! I thought 3 days here and 3 days there would work - and agree IC probably not so good as LBM!

Looking forward to your reviews!

Best Wishes

Bronia :-)

Delhi
5 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: hilton/intercontinental/lux belle mare/something else?

Hi Bronia,

I was reading through this entire post and was thoroughly impressed by the abundance of knowledge you possess on 'The best things/places to visit in Mauritius'. I too am looking for an expert advise from you.

I am planning a trip sometime in the month of June. I am told Lux Belle Mare is a great Property but on doing some research, I found out that Flic en Flac is a better island to stay in, considering it has a great night life and a little more full of hustle bustle compared to Belle Mare.

While I am looking for the place/island to be a little happening, I would not like to get to a place that's over crowded. Some seclusion would be great.

Could you suggest which one would be better of the two?

Cheers

Gautam :)