We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Which Flic En Flac hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hampshireLil
7 posts
Save Topic
money

can you tell me wether it is better to get rupees from your travel agent or wait until we get there and get it at the airport and have been advised not to use our visa there because of fraud has anyone had a problem or as usual travel agents wanting there commission

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,514 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

never had problem using visa in all the years I've been to Mauritius.

Take sterling and exchange it into rupees in the airports arrivals hall, commission free.

If you are staying near Grand Baie or Flice en Flac there are branches of Thomas Cook and Shibani Finance where you can change money commission free.

Banks will charge, and with ATMs you may find you bank charges a small fee.

We use Visa to settle the hotel bill, but also sometimes for shopping and never had a problem.

For current exchange rates see

www.shibanifinance.com

All hotels have electronic safes.

I think maybe your travel agent is after commission?

Regards

Bronia

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,453 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

Hi

Will echo Bronia's excellent advice.

No problem at all changing money in the arrivals hall, quick, efficient and best rates as the banks are. Don't exchange at hotels they give a poor exchange rate.

We have used visa for purchasing large items in shops etc, in restaurants and also settled hotel extras account with no problems at all.

Mazza :-)

3. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, February 14, 2010