We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

North Wales
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

Hi everyone,

We have booked our wedding to Mauritius next March and we are staying at the Sugar Beach (very, very excited).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the options for the ceremony? We haven't been assigned a wedding co-ordinator yet, so I have no-one to ask!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

x

west midlands
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

hi beccles9? sorry, don't know if this is your name but we have recently returned from sugar beach hotel in mauritius from a fantastic wedding and honeymoon and all i can say is you have done well in choosing this resort, absolutely fantastic. we had the most wounderful time. we got married in april this year 09 on the beach, heaven. you will be assigned your wedding co-ordinator when you arrive or the following day depending on arrival time, our wedding co-ordinator was isobelle and she works for sugar beach and she is fantastic, they organise everything for you from the cake,flowers place of venue and any extras you require, we had an arch covered in flowers and they matched it to my dress and the flowers for the table, the choice of venues for your ceremony if basically anywhere you want, we chose the beach but you can choose from the lawned area in front of the colonial building (beautiful) the sea is right behind you,or the beach which we chose (gorgous) or you can choose to have the ceremony inside the colonial house if the wheather is not too good the house is fantastic, your main problem will be where to have it as they are all fantastic, at first i thought the beach may be a little too public but this was not the case at all they placed a red carpet on the sand for us to walk on and it was outside citronellas resturant don't let this put you off it is not during dining hours and the building is very grecian looking. the photographer will meet you outside your rooms and stay with you throughout the ceremony and return later to take photo's later in the evening at your wedding meal which is on the beach at sunset with a log fire on the beach and you have exclusive waiter service from citronellas resturant as it opens later in the evening i think all wedding meals are served at 7pm but your wedding will be the only one that day so it feels more special,it is so romantic, all weddings are performed at 4pm unless otherwise arranged and i think this is because it all ties in with the beautiful sunset at the end of the day, daylight disapears quickly in mauritius usually about 6pm the beach area is decorated beautifully for your meal with the palm parasoles draped in white and fairy lights and beach candles and a log fire the meal is very private and no one bothers you it is a private affair and very romantic and you can leave when you are ready but be prepared for the stunning wedding breakfast served outside your room the next morning a feast of a breakfast with fresh fruit,tea,coffee,croissonts,pasries,and a full english. you will be shown a book to choose your bouquet and flowers for your hair if required and for your table,the flowers are so gorgous from traditional to truly exotic depending on taste and the beauty salon to have hair and make-up done if required at an extra charge i used it and it was so worth it, expensive but worth it they are very profesional with very good products. the hotel rep will arrange for you to visit st louis to have your documents certified, the taxi will pick you up and return you back be prepared though for a half day as you need to visit about four places but they are all fairly close together but take some good shoes as it is a bit of walking we had a stress free beautiful wedding and honeymoon and i would do it all over again so i wish you both a fantastic wedding lots of luck for the future and enjoy! hope you find this useful.di griffin x

North Wales
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

Hi Di,

Congratulations first of all and secondly, thank you so much for posting. Your wedding sounds amazing!!

We are so pleased that we have chosen sugar beach...

A couple of questions if you don't mind?

We have family and some friends coming over for the wedding, how does it work in terms of them coming to our hotel for the wedding?

Also, we would like to have our family and friends at our wedding meal in the evening, do you think that the hotel will accomodate this for us? We decided that it would be really romantic and a thank you to the guests for coming over to enjoy the day with us.

What sort of dress did you wear? I have bought mine already and have gone for a strapless white taffeta dress with sparkles on it, will I be too hot?

Im so excited, can I think of my other questions!!

What is the hairdressers like, did you take pictures for them to re-create? When you say expensive, how expensive?

Is the hairdressers in the hotel grounds?

Who did you book your wedding with?

Im so sorry for all the questions, you will wish that you hadn't replied....

Sarah xx

west midlands
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

hi sarah, thanks for your reply, as you mentioned, you are expecting family and friends at the wedding as far as i can remember having guests at the hotel is not a problem at all, we were on our own but other bride and grooms who were there during our 2 weeks did have them and it was not a problem the hotel does accommodate.guests can certainly stay for the meal,not a problem.

the dress i wore was a very light weight long wedding dress in pale lilac and i just had fresh orchids in my hair put in by the hairdresser, i would be lying if i said i wasn't hot but it wouldn't matter what you wore it can be very hot but it was bareable after all it's only for a few hours but by the time you have your meal it has cooled down a bit and more comfortable, rob wore a cotton lilac shirt and linen trousers and he was quite comfortable, some grooms that we saw did wear full suits and they were extremely uncomfortable but as i say it's not for long.

the beauty salon is only a few minuits walk away from any of the villas but if you didn't want to walk or the wheather is not good you can have a buggy to take you, the salon is fantastic so relaxing it's (aura) and the girls are very profesional they will talk you through all the options available to you, i didn't take any photos as i have short hair and gave them a free range brave i know but they did a fantastic job but there was a girl in the salon at the same time as me (she was getting married at la parogue)and she did have a photo and they did her have beautifully, she had long hair and it was partially up with soft curls and like me she had fresh orchids in her hair.we also had our make-up and nails done and i have to say i was very pleased the nails/hair and make-up came to about £100.For the wedding package we had thompson worldwide weddings and they were amazing as we only decided to get married 7 weeks before our holiday and they really got things organised. i do have all the details of the wedding package as a keepsake but if you would like i can post it to you for you to have a look at if you could post it me back when you have finished with it.

North Wales
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

Hi Di,

Many thanks for your response, sorry for the questions!!

We have booked through Virgin weddings, but they havent released the information yet on next years prices until July, so we will get to find out which wedding date we have been assigned when we are on holiday in Cyprus....

The brochure tells you what is included, but is quite vague, but I think that you have answered all of my questions. I was more concerned about our guests to be honest and making sure that they are ok.....

Which room did you have at sugar beach, we have gone for a standard room as Virgin say that they will try to upgrade and given we are not buying it and wont be spending that much time in it, we decided that a standard would probably be ok?

I would love to see your wedding photo's, are you on confetti as a member??

xx

west midlands
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

hi sarah, sorry i'm not on confetti but i can assure you the wedding photos are really lovely, i don't usually like my photo taken but i was quite impressed with ours you won't be disapointed, the accomodation we were in was a luxury groung floor villa next to citronellas resturant which was absolutely beautiful but i know most wedding/honeymooners tend to get an upgrade ours was literally almost on the beach and we watched the sunsets every night but lots of people had the standard rooms and they seemed more then happy, i wouldn't mind a standard room if we went back we literally got married outside our room which was so close to the beach,if you have any more questions i will be more than happy to oblige di x

North Wales
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

Hi Di,

I think that is everything to be honest.... I cant thank you enough, you have made it even more exciting now by telling us things that we didnt know...

Sarah xx

west midlands
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

hi sarah just thought i'd let you know that in last weeks ok magazine issue number 667 date 9th june09 there is an article about travel titled mad about maritius page 132 and it's a review by jenny frost from attomic kitten and she stayed at sugar beach, it's a fantastic review and some lovely pictures too.di x

North Wales
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

Hi Di,

Oh wow, fantastic, I will pop out at lunch today and see if I can grab myself a copy!!

I hope that there is some good pictures in the review! It must be a fab place if celeb's go there!!

Hope your well

xx

North Wales
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

Hi Di,

Gutted - went to Morrisons and they only have this weeks!!

Please if you have a copy can you let me know what she says?

xx

west midlands
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Mauritius - Sugar Beach - wedding location

hi sara, sorry in the delay in replying, i have given the mag to a friend of mine at work so i hope she still has it but she basically said it was the best beach holiday she has had and raved about the aura spa and beauty therapy recieved, and commented on how amazing the food was, from the sound of it they had a superior villa like us as she talked about being able to walk straight on to the beach.

by the way sarah if you get the chance to walk with the lions then do it, it,s the most amazing experience i have had and it,s only about 15 mins away in a taxi, it,s in casala just up the road a day you will never forget, i thought i would be scared but i wasn,t you can also stroke the cheetahs and have your photo,s taken. not bad if the celebs go there and apparently posh and becks have a place there too. di x