We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palmar Beach or Silver Beach

Which Belle Mare hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Merseyside
6 posts
Save Topic
Palmar Beach or Silver Beach

Can't make up my mind between these two hotels for my wife and I (aged 46 & 52 respectively) for next September/October. As this is a bit outside our normal holiday budget we want to make sure we get it right. We're wanting a quiet, relaxing, hassle-free holiday. Also, I've read bad things about Air Mauritius and am wondering whether it's worth paying a bit extra and going with Virgin. Any advice would be very welcome.

pontypridd
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Palmar Beach or Silver Beach

hi zak

we stayed at silver beach last march and had a wonderful holiday. I was very concerned before travelling after reading some of the reviews but can honestly say it was wonderful. I have stayed in five* hotels in many Carribean resorts and yes, they may have been more luxurious (but do you spend your holiday in your hotel room) but could not compare with the service you receive at silver beach. The rooms are basic but very clean, clean linen daily.The food is really good, always hot and a good choice. The service is excellent, your glass will never be empty, and being a small hotel the staff soon learn what your drink is. There is a private beach (not huge) but always plenty of room. The snorkelling just to the left of the beach is amazing, beach shoes are advisable though because of the coral.

Travelling around the island is easiest by taxi. They wait outside the hotel and for about £28.00 the taxi is yours for the day. We found the drivers were full of information and thier English very good.

We also flew with Air Mauritius and can honestly say the flights in both directions were good.The meals were not great but I,ve yet to find an airline that offers good food (we had night flights so really food wasn,t a problem),but as far as comfort goes it was not that bad.

If you have anymore questions please do not hesitate to ask, I,ll answer as honestly as I can.

Carribean Lady

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,514 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palmar Beach or Silver Beach

Zak,

Palmar is part of Veranda group, and have visited there when we stayed at Paul et Virginie last year. Beach good, and public areas nice. However, someone on this forum a few weeks ago was saying they were being put up at the Heritage, which is a 5 star sister hotel when they were originally booked into Palmar. Either they are overbooked or they are upgrading the rooms, I don't know, as the OP never said the reason.

I think its rooms look as if they need refurbishing, looking on websites, as do the Silver Beach.

Both are on windy east coast, and it can be cool that area, especially September.

Have a look at north coast and west coast hotels, as better weather and some nicer hotels.

Air Mauritius not as bad as some say. Been with them lots of times, and overall the IFE and food lets them down.

Been with Virgin to the States a few times, and going agin soon, but feel less leg room with virgin than AM.

It depends on your budget really. Take a look at a few hotels before making your choice. Read the reviews, but if a hotel has a couple of bad ones don't be put off.

good luck

Bronia

Merseyside
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Palmar Beach or Silver Beach

Thanks to both of you for the info - the wind does give me a few misgivings, so will expand my search to the north and west of the island. The only real reason for looking at the east was I really fancied the idea of being able to jump in a boat and zoom off to the Ile aux Cerfs, but you can't have everything!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,514 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palmar Beach or Silver Beach

Zak,

You can still do that. Hire a taxi for the day or think about car hire for a few days! Driving is on left as it is here, and not too difficult.

Bronia

5. Re: Palmar Beach or Silver Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Belle Mare