We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving in mauritius

Ipswich, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Scuba diving in mauritius

I am going on honeymoon to Mauritius this September and would like to know some info regarding scuba diving. i was recommended to take my diving qualification here in the UK so as and when i got on honeymoon i could go diving straight away instead of wasting time learning in a pool. Does anyone know how much its cost to learn to dive in Mauritius and /or is it worth learning here in UK first. Any info would be appreciated.

regards

Allen

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving in mauritius

I was in a similar situation as you last year when I planned to go to the maldives.

All I can say is yes definatly get it done in UK first. It should not be underestimated in how much work there is to actually pass your open water. Don't foget that if you don't learn correctly that you not only put yourself in danger but your buddy (not good!).

Also you can never guarentee the instruction quality and ultimatly there is a rush to get into the water and start diving ASAP rather than time spent learning the skills.

Ultimately it does allow you to go on holiday and be that - a holiday! You choose when and where to dive no one else!

Iver only done 15 dives so when I go diving abroad I tend to pay for a diving guide (just to keep an eye on me) and also to show me the good stuff. Normally they are really cheap. So i would reccomend that. It must take years to become competent.

Hope this helps

Kir

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,494 posts
1,861 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving in mauritius

I spent about £40.00 for a basic diving lesson which included the pool, and diving at shllow waters in the Indian Ocean. The whole thing lasted around 3 hours.

The view in the sea was fantastic.

You can do the 5 day PADI course but remember you are going on your honeymoon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving in mauritius

I was also in a similar situation before going to the Maldives on my honeymoon. Definately learn before you go - to get the full PADI certicate there is lots of boring classroom stuff to do.

What you can do is do the bulk of the stuff in the UK and just do your open water referral dives in Mauritius. I did this as though I didn't mind learning in a pool, I really didn't want to do my open water dives in cold british water!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,494 posts
1,861 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba diving in mauritius

I did a introductory dive in Maurotius recently. It costs about £40.00.

It was a session in the pool in the morning and then out to the sea.

I just wanted a go having a dive and did not want to bother with a PADI course.

If you are in your honeymoon the last thing you want is a 5 day PADI course.

5. Re: Scuba diving in mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, August 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Belle Mare
Recent Conversations