We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best side island

Lot-et-Garonne...
Level Contributor
190 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
best side island

hello brian

firstly, the maldives are amazing islands, take your camera on the sea plane.

We have been to the maldives 5 times before, and i would advise

taking your own snorkelling equiptment.

we are off to meedhupparu in may, would you be so kind as to look at room numbers for me, we want to be on the calm side, with wide beaches.

enjoy your anniversary

regards val

Leeds, Yorkshre
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best side island

hello, i'm off in may aswell.

Are you off to meedhupparu????

What date are you going???

Chez

Lot-et-Garonne...
Level Contributor
190 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best side island

hi chez

we are off to meedhupparu in 15 th may next year, have been to 5 other resorts, so hoping this one is just as good.

have you been there before, when are you going

if you are a first time visitor to the maldives, please feel free to ask any questions.

cheers val

East Sussex
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best side island

Just seen your post, have mentioned this elsewhere on this forum, but be aware that Meed is being renovated some time next year. Have just got back, and the staff are talking about it. They didnt say when its being done, but you could always email the island. It needs renovating anyway, no way is it 4 star - 3 would be generous! Take mossie spray and diocalm - there was lots of staomach problems on the island while we were there, including one guy who had to have treatment from the doc just before he got on the seaplane, in order to be well enough to get the flight home! Good luck.

Rosie

Leeds, Yorkshre
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best side island

Hi Timmy2, Me and my fiance are flying out on the 11 may from manchester with first choice, you'll be there when we are, but i guess we will have no idea who you are anyway!!! funny i guess.

X Have fun. 13 weeks to gooooooooooooooo

Lot-et-Garonne...
Level Contributor
190 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best side island

Hi Chezntin

We get there 15th, so you will already be relaxed, tanned, and chilled. I am looking forward to going, counting the weeks, have you been to the maldives before ?

Its amazing have your camera ready for the seaplane, and try to get

seats at the front Its a fantastic photo (video) opportunity.

The snorkelling is amazing , well we habe been 5 times, and i am still counting the weeks If u want to know any information let me know your e.mail address

See you in 11 weeks

val x.

Leeds, Yorkshre
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best side island

Hi Val,

I'll have a cold one ready for you..Hee hee, Never been before but like all first timers, really nervous about the whole arrival experience and stuff, Just really want that bit to be over with and to be sat on the beach with a cold drink be it lemonade or beer.

yep 11 weeks and counting, think it's roughly 73 days... Cant wait

Chez x

Lot-et-Garonne...
Level Contributor
190 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best side island

Hi Chez

Let me tell you about the arrival experience as you'll be taking the seaplane.

You'll collect your cases and appear out of the arrivals lounge to what appears to be chaos, but it's not. There will be no rep to meet you, just locals offering to direct you to one of thirty or forty deks.

They'll send you down to a chap stood behind a rickety desk who will tell you to go and stand across the road and wait for a bus. At this point your caese will disappear and you'll have afeeling of dread that you'll never see them again.

A minbus will turn up and take you across the runway to a waiting area where your cases will magically re-appear. You'll be asked where you are going and they'll give you a coloured ticket with a number on it. Your cases will be piled up with hundreds of others with paper tags added to them.

When your flight is ready your island will be called and you'll see your cases being put on the plane. You'll get on the plane too.

The palne taxis in the water and eventually roars into life. It seems like an age before it gets in the air, but it's a migical moment.

When you get near the island it will start to dive at the sea at an alarming rate pointing downwards steeply, only to pull up just before you hit the sea. Hooray you've arrived.

Your cases will disappear again !!

You'll be given a drink and be asked to complete some paperwork, then a boy will walk you to your room. When you get there once again your cases will have re-appeared.

Ten minutes later you'll be on the beach. An hour after that you'll be so chilled out and relaxed you'll have forgotten every woory in the world.

Enjoy

Val

Lot-et-Garonne...
Level Contributor
190 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best side island

Sorry about the spelling in my post !!

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best side island

A tip for the seaplane journey is to take advantage of the free 'ear plugs' on the desk in the waiting area (take two pairs each, for the journey out and back). The seaplane is very noisey, but if you are lucky enough with the weather it is a beautiful experience.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: best side island

Hi all,

We were ther a few weeks ago and it was great !!

We stayed in room 176, it didnt have much of a beach at the front of it, but a few steps to the right and we had a good beach area, this room is on the western edge of the island so the sunsets were great, go to the small bay that is at the west end of the south beach to watch the sunsets ! watch out for the reef sharks there as well, 3 - 4 of them, very close to the beach, 3 feet max, however they are harmless and will just swim round you when you sit in water beside them !!

From what we saw most rooms have good outlooks, rooms closer to the bar etc will have a bit more noise, not that it is noise as we know here !!

I will be putting a more in depth report on TA shortly, still recovering from being back at work !

Brian..

Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll