We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meedhupparu

Which Raa Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Meedhupparu

I have booked to go here as a family (kids aged 23,21 and 18) has anyone got any info hints or tips, it will be our first time to the Maldives.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meedhupparu

Request a non sea wall room, do so two weeks before you get there, and request a table on the outskirts of the restaurant, not in the centre.

If you are not already, go all inclusive, and the little beach bar, not the cafe masse one, the other one ( you will know what I mean) with the pool table is great for a drink pre lunch drink or sun downer, whilst looking out over the beach and ocean. It's close to the pool and restaurant.

Cafe masse used to be fab, as up high and so few tables under pergolas, you felt there was nothing between you and the ocean, but the sea wall ruined the view. It may be better now though.

For dinner, don't eat all the buffet choices at once, be discplined and have a starter, a main and a dessert. But not a bit of every starter or every main, this means you can make an event out of your evening meal and never get bored.

They do snacks late afternoon, we were never hungry, but would sometimes walk along for our daughter and have a coffee and people watch.

Go snorkelling off the jetty, not from the beach, you are then right at the drop off, which is quite something, it's shelved, about 30 or 50 metres deep, a lot of large fish, and you can see quite far down from the surface,, but be careful, you need to be confident to go over into the deep blue, I was not, hubby and daughter were fine. Oh and don't feed the fish,,,even though the hotel do it, bread ultimately kills them.

The other good place to snorkel, other than the drop off, is by the water villas.

Take mosquito wipes in your hand luggage, and wipe before you get off the plane, they have dengue fever. Always wear repellant, take also your shorts, t shirt and swimmers in your hold luggage, in case your hand luggage comes later, this way you don't pass out from heat exhaustion in the plane and can start your holiday right away. You can change on the plane or at the seaplane terminal. It's really hot, and the seaplane itself is stifling.

Avoid the meedhupparu lounge at the seaplane terminal. It's awful, just a dark room, buy a drink and sit in the main area, watching the planes taking off and landing on the water.

Remember a pen to fill in your landing card on the plane, dont do it at the airport, hand wash detergent to wash your clothes and all the toiletries and medication you could possibly need and then some ie suntan lotion, discalm,headache tablets, anti histamine etc, its very expensive there.

Think that's about it, have a great vacation:))

Edited: 12:18 pm, April 23, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meedhupparu

Sorry take your shorts etc in your hand luggage, in case your hold luggage comes later,l,!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meedhupparu

Brilliant thankyou

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meedhupparu

Is dress for dinner st all formal?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meedhupparu

Nope, not even slightly. I tend to wear skirts and cami tops. It's very, very hot.. Hubby polo shirt or normal shirt and linen trousers or something, but I have seen people in football shirts, jeans, and also the same gear they were wearing during the day ie shorts and t shirt

So basically anything other than swimwear goes, but it's very definitely not formal.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meedhupparu

Smart casual is the norm across most resorts. The only no-no is swimwear in the restaurant - you will be expected to cover up with something like a sarong/dress or shorts anytime you there.

Exeter, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Meedhupparu

If I email to request a particular room, Do I need to request a table in the restaurant before you travel or on arrival and do you have to sit at the same table throughout your stay? Which rooms would you recommend?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meedhupparu

You have the same table throughout. Email two weeks before hand for the room and ask for the table at the same time. Request one on the outskirts of the restaurant and not anywhere close to the centre where it's busy and canteen ish.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
245 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meedhupparu

Hi,

I would recommend taking a cheap lilo with you from the uk. The sun beds have no cushions and are uncomfortable. Last time I went I bought one from the Island shop and it was 25 US dollars + taxes.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meedhupparu

Froggy - Never heard of pre-requesting a table before....do they give you what you ask for?

Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll
Recent Conversations