We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dr on Meedhupparu

Which Raa Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Dr on Meedhupparu

Can anyone tell me if there is a resident Doctor on Meedhupparu?

Thanks

St. Neots, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

there certainly was 18 months ago so I would imagine there still will me because of the Islands remote location, he has a small surgery that opens twice a day, but is always available in an emergency. , my husband burnt his feet on the wooden decking round the pool (be warned very hot) the doctor dressed his wounds every day till we left.being diabetic this could have been a life saver. Jilly

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

Thanks very much, thats put my mind at rest!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

just keep in mind that the physicians on the various islands tend to be there on a free stay in exchange for minor services a described above and they can be any specialty. i have found podiatrists and opthalmologists as island doctors. of course, any of these should be quite able to treat your ear infection or perform basic woundcare.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

Thank you

Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

They are actually employed by the islands and have a medical degree and 2 yrs post grad experience, so don't expect fully qualified GPs, however they will be proper doctors and able to manage any conditions appropriately.

DR Lou!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

Do you think the Dr's on the islands would have Epi pens in case someone had a "severe" allergic reaction? To say an insect /bee/mosquito bite/nuts??

My son had a severe reaction to a bee/wasp sting last year and until it happens again he won't have an epi-pen!! I can but pray this doesn't happen in Maldives 3hrs from Male!

His body & lips swelled up but not tongue or throat.

Anyone have any idea or suggestions as suppose it is possible that someone could have allergic reaction to jellyfish sting or coral graze etc??

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

actually, DR lou... they are for the most part not actually employed by the islands .. but definitely have a medical degree and some are quite fully qualified gps with decades of experience.

yes, most islands should stock epi .. however in what form , i can't say

Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

They have adrenaline (which is what's in an epipen), however if you have your own I'd suggest taking it given speed is the most important thing in that situation x

South Wales
Level Contributor
928 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

Just go to your GP and get an script for an epipen....I wouldn't hesitate and doc will happly prescibe for you. When I went away last year I went to my doctor and he gave me a selection of bits and bobs ( antibiotics etc ) just in case on a private rx

Debs

10. Re: Dr on Meedhupparu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:12 pm, June 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll
Recent Conversations