We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater snorkel camera

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater snorkel camera

Hi Guys can someone advise me the best type of snorkel I can buy that has a built in camera to take away with us to the Maldives ??

Dive Club Furaveri
Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing
Newark
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

I'm sorry but i've never heard of such a thing. There is a mask that incorporates a camera but I don't know if it is any good. Many digital compacts are now available that are waterproof to 3m (some to 10m), which is fine for snorkelling.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

Last holiday we went on we seen one for sale and I have googled it , there seems to be so many different ones, some have a built in video . I want to buy one for hubby as xmas present and to take away with us. We have only ever used them plastic type cameras and the pics are never that good.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

When I googled it - it was the mask which actually had the built in camera plus a snorkel.Personally I would actually steer away from one built into a snorkel or mask as if they bust , then you have lost the camera. Also one mask does not always fit all. Different shaped faces need different style masks.

however I do believe someone on here did buy one and posted a link to their results but their name escapes me.

As newark says there are some good digital cameras which are water proof to 5-10 metres and give good results plus you can use them out of water. Makes are cannon, Fuji, Olympus vitar and Pentax to name just a few.

Sg

Edited: 12:51 pm, September 13, 2010
liverpool
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

Yes I agree with the size of mask, i didn't take that into account. I think I will shop around for a decent digital one . I don't want one thats to techy though, just a simple easy to use camera that takes good underwater pics....any ideas ??

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

Panasonic Lumix FT1. Also takes underwater HD video. Brilliant above and below water camera

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

Nice, but a bit pricey though : ( Was looking to spend up to £150

Bocking essex
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

Hi durie ... forget gimmicky mask cameras... go for a Pentax optio wp..... cant go wrong... easy to use and great snaps and video...Spartacus

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

Thanks Spartacus but is this waterproof and what's the distance it can take pictures in ?

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

Am looking at Pentax OPTIO W80 - RED and its coming in at £145. So I don't need to bother with a waterproof case with this one then ??

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underwater snorkel camera

have had both and the panasonic is much much better. you get what you pay for. The HD video and editing on the lumix is fab.

Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll
Recent Conversations