We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping policy

United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Topic
tipping policy

we are going to the one and only kanuhura next february please can anyone advise me what the policy on tipping is? is there one ?who do you tip and how often ?i know there is a service charge does this make a difference? look forward to any replies

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping policy

See this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k886…

Staffs,UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping policy

We visited Kanuhura sept this year.

On arrival the resort manager covers tipping policy as part of resort orientation.

The policy is no individual tipping.

You are supposed to give any tip you feel appropriate when you pay the bill, to be split between all staff.

The above is the official line. But I did not like it. I prefer to give direct to any that deserve it. Otherwise you never know where the money ends up.

So what we did.

Unlike most maldavian resorts you do not get assigned to one resturant waiter, so did not feel it neccessary to give anyone there a tip. nor the bar.

We only gave a tip to the Dhoni crew (diving) and to our Room boy and but not the Villa Butler. I also sent an Arsenal shirt out on my return to the room boy he seem more keen on getting this than the dollars.

If I went again I would take a small men or Xlarge boys Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea or Arsenal Shirt to give to room boy at begining of the week (but not on immediate arrival see below) & you will be treated all week to bed flowers etc.

I would avoid giving a tip to the porter as we seemed to get swamped by the porter , then the villa Butler and then the room boy all in one go it seemed they were taking their turn when all you want to do is recover from the journey.

Yes there is a 10% service charge on everything (except our diving bill for some reason, but we are PADI instructors so maybe they did not charge us)

Enjoy

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Dacs

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping policy

Ok I will preach some more on this topic.

First if you go up to the top of this thread above where it says Kanuhara Forum in green and click on "Maldives Forums" in red and then type the word "tipping" in the search in box and click go you will see dozens of pages of discussion about this never ending topic.

Personally I don't understand why its even an issue.

I suppose I should defer to Dacshund since he has actually been to Kanuhura. (the footie shirts are always a good idea)

My own view is that if somebody gives you good service you give them a tip. The 10 percent charge is divided among all the staff (equally we are told but that isn't always true on every resort) and any tips you leave when paying your bill are also suppose to be divided equally among the staff.

Heres the deal in my opinion. There are people getting very rich in the resort business in the Maldives however the working staff at these resorts are certainly not included in that group. If you (or I) can afford to spend thousands of dollars to go on a maldive vacation then it really isn't too much to ask for us to take a stack of $1 bills along and give tips to your waiter (even if its adifferent one at every meal), your room boy and the guys who bust their butts carrying all the luggage that you really didn't need to bring to begin with. If you go on dive trips or snorkle trips its really not too much to slip the dhoni crew a few bucks for helping you with your gear or helping to haul you out of the ocean. If people give you lousy service then don't tip them but a few bucks here and there do make a difference to folks who are only making a couple hundred dollars a month in wages (if that).

I know that my opinion is not going to end this topic but to do anything else is in my view just incredibly cheap!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,443 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping policy

i am always incredibly shocked at reading about people who happily spend thousands on a luxury vacation and actually find it in their bitter hearts to begrudge a heartworking staffmember a few lousy bucks. the concept is simply beyond my comprehension.

these people work their butts off for 80 - 120 $ a month and most often their entire very extended family depends on their income . your few dollars might well be the difference if one of their children gets dental care or not. come on people ! if you are that tight , simply have one beer less per day .

waiters .. if no steady waiter is assigned , like on mirihi which we frequent - simply give a couple of dollars each meal . at the bar , a couple $ with each round of drinks .. it's not that hard . of course the roomboy and butler deserve a thank you (we give the roomboy 5$ every second day - the butler might find a larger sum weekly more dignified) .. the porters naturally have a right to expect at least a dollar per piece. the dhoni crew and dive staff are also very appreciative. besides that, we do leave a larger amount at the end of our stay for the people we don't see , like laundry, gardeners, etc.

and yes ... we make a point of going to the bank beforehand and obtaining a stack of ones and fives. i know this to be common practice among much less well-off people who frequent cheaper islands .. one would think that questioning that wouldn't even cross anyone's mind who can afford a luxury place .

the beauty about tipping : what goes around comes around . the staff manages to find so many ways to make your stay especially memorable that you are really investing in your own pleasure and comfort as well.

Staffs,UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping policy

SPAMMIE

I agree with some and disagree with some of your comments and atitude.

I had not stated how much was given away just who to because they gave us good service. For good service and those that go out of their way they deserve extra. I always take about £300 value in dollars all below $20 bills to use as tips, not all of this is neccesarily given away.

If the resort operators know how much these guys get in tips then they cut their wages even more, the tips should not form part of their wages and more and more tips will excuse the resorts to pay lower and lower basic wages. You are encoraging lower basic pay for these guys.

Again I dont think you should tip every round of drinks and every day to ensure you get good service.

You pay the resort to ensure their staff are paid sufficiently to provide this. Otherwise taken to an extreme all resorts should be exactly the same cost and then you decide to pay for the service you require when you get there by tipping. This is clearly a load of nonsense.

In my own line of work as an Engineer in the UK I never get a tip for doing a job well. I am expected to do a good job for the wages I am paid. If i am not happy with the salary I move on.

The majority of the guys in the Maldives can and have done the same I have met several there that have worked in Canada, the US the Caribean etc. They do have a choice and it is their choice to have "extended families" they are educated people. I personally think it is insulting to give them a couple of dollars one day and then another dollar a few days later to ensure they keep up a standard. What if they don't perform are you going to stop giving them the cash until they improve.

You can totally disagree with the above if you like its your opinion, but there are as in life many sides to such discussions. Some will agree with the above other will find it contreversial and I can accept that.

And remember the guy asked what the policy was at the resort.

Perhaps I should have left it that the policy was no tipping just add on any extra you feel to the bill when you leave.

Dacs

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,443 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping policy

dachs .. first of all .. i don't exactly write a receipt to the manager about what amount i tip . so how would they know and accordingly ajust the wages down?

second .. i have certainly never met any maldivian or sri lankan employee that has worked in canada. you have been in contact with some exceptional people .

third .. no of course i do not give money so that the standart is kept up. that is a silly notion and if that kind of reverse blackmail was involved, i would be very displeased. i do enjoy saying "thank you" for the exceptional service i get and i think it's only fair.

fourth.. so as an engineer in the UK .. if every single employer decided that your work was worth .. say .. 300 pounds a month, nothing more ... where would you "move on" to? these people have family they are trying to stay as near to as possible to and obtaining work visas for western countries for people with a 6th grade education isn't as easy as it may have once been .

also .. your suggestion that they ought to simply stop having children is ludicrous . you must realize that . not only are they not allowed birth control but also the "extended family" mostly includes aunts and uncles , grandparents and second cousins twice removed ... they can't exactly stop having parents , can they?

furthermore .. if you honestly feel that allotong 300$ (which you might not all use) for tips is an appropriate or even generous amount in relation to a luxury resort vacation ... then we will simply have to agree to disagree . we have no common basis .

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,443 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping policy

i am sorry .. i meant to write 300 pounds of course

new york, ny
Level Contributor
7 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping policy

You both make good points, and there defintiely is some common ground, for you both like the same islands! In defense of Dacs, the argument went a little off track. I think the point was that some hotels build the tip into the price and actually give it to the workers even in the Maldives. The forum is posted under a One & Only hotel, and these hotels are notorious for being wonderful to work for. Certain luxury chains like One & Only, Four Seasons, etc.. really do ensure that the workers are happy and well traveled. This became a cheap vs. spendthrift argument when in fact each hotel should be considered separately even in the Maldives.

9. Re: tipping policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 18, 2009