We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which side of the island?

cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
which side of the island?

Please, can someone tell me which side of the island is best to be on - sunset or sunrise, I have heard the one side is very windy, one obviously more sheltered, one gets rubbish blown in on the sea, and does looking out to the water bungalows spoil the sea view??

Who has been recently who can honestly tell me which side of the island to request a beach villa. Going on 1st March 2008.

thanks, chris.

France
Level Contributor
455 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which side of the island?

Hi there

Assume you are going to Komandoo ?

Let us know ...

If it is , then both sides are great.

Mentioned in this post
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,301 Reviews
Komandoo
lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which side of the island?

Hi,

Just got back from Komandoo.

I actually requested the sunrise side of the island,as the bungalows face the deserted islands.We did not get this side & were in a turtle bungalow(8),could not have been happier with our position,we did not look directly at the inhabited island,there was a lovely breeze,great lagoon & snorkelling out from our room.Real privacy from the bushes between the rooms & your 'own' bit of beach.

Agree that all the rooms are lovely,wait until you get there & if you don't like where you are ask for a move.Its best not to go with preconceived ideas.

Oh & rubbish,we saw none the first week as it was v still( sea was like a millpond) ,the second week was windier & some rubbish was washed up ,but was quickly cleared away by the garden staff.

Enjoy this beautiful island.

Sue

Mentioned in this post
2,301 Reviews
Komandoo
cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which side of the island?

thanks, so I guess Komandoo is great. We have been to Maldives before on a small island and loved the barefoot style!! I just would like a pretty view and on a good bit of beach, my husband likes spending all the time in the water snorkelling. I do snorkel as well, but not as much as him.

Any other advice would be great to have.

thanks,

Mentioned in this post
2,301 Reviews
Komandoo
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which side of the island?

Hi

We've been twice, and stayed on the sunset side twice - the side which faces the inhabited island, and also occasionally has items washed up on the beach. If we ever decide to bite the bullet and go for a third time, despite the silly price increases -we'd have no problems being on that side again.

The rubbish issue which pops up from time to time appears to be worse from May - November. We've been in May, and late January/March, and can confirm that more items were washed up in May. It obviously depends upon wind direction / prevailing currents.

In any event it wasn't that bad, and as Sue says above anything washed up is very quickly dealt with.

The inhabited island is not too close as to be intrusive, and you most certainly can not see a Tuna cannery as has been reported on occasions.

We also found the snorkelling to be better on this side of the island - although I've seen reports suggesting the other side is better, luck of the draw I suppose.

Seeing a turtle nearly every day out of 14, along with eagle rays, napoleon wrass (quite small by their standards), and multiple other varieties of fish too numerous to mention is what made it our favourite.

Hope you enjoy Komandoo as much as we did - reading Lifesaver's posts make us want to book again for next April, but we'll have to have a long hard think about it.

Regards

Ian

Mentioned in this post
2,301 Reviews
Komandoo
lincs
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: which side of the island?

Hi Ian,

Have to say if prices had only increased along normal lines we would be going back,as it is price increases for next year are phenomenal,shame as it is such a wonderful & relaxing place.Just totally loved it!

Suex

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which side of the island?

Hi Sue

You're quite right, the cheapest price I can get for next year is for a beach villa b&b, which is actually £200 more than we paid for a JBV on AI this year. That would easily add up to at least a £2000 increase. As much as we love the place I just can't justify an increase of that nature. Think I'm going to post on Gengy's "Depressed" thread.... :-(

Apologies to Chris for wandering off topic!

cheers

Ian

7. Re: which side of the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lhaviyani Atoll
Recent Conversations