We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jumeirah vitavelli

Which South Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Jumeirah vitavelli

Hi

Can anyone who has been to Jumeirah Vitavelli tell me any more about the smoke and a garbage island? We are planning on going to the maldives in October and I was torn between the W and Jumeirah Vitavelli. We had decided on the Vitavelli as living in Dubai we have always found Jumeirah resorts to be excellent. Now having read about a poor house reef and garbage island I am now scared we have made the wrong choice! We are opting for a water villa sunset side. This holiday will be our first in the maldives and is a substantial amount of money so hoping to get it right.

Many thanks in advance for honest responses.

London
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jumeirah vitavelli

We are going there in July. We visited the island years ago when it was still a very basic divers island (Bolifushi). We never noticed the 'garbage island'. We've been to other resorts relatively close to the 'garbage island' since and it never bothered us the way the many people report. I certainly have never smelled anything and it is really hard to see. Yes you can see an island in the distance, but unless someone told you it had garbage on it, you wouldn't know. Just my experience. Maybe others are more keenly sensitive.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Crowthorne, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jumeirah vitavelli

Hi

I have recently returned and assure you that you won't be disappointed. It is only just possible so see the island in question, in the distance. There was certainly no smell or other evidence. Also, it is on the opposite side to the island to where your accommodation is. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time - the service standards, quality of food etc are very high. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Sue

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jumeirah vitavelli

It's like 7km away from hotel n u will not get any smell or dust from there.we are cleaning house reef weekly.so tha corals are clean and healthy.Im sure you can enjoy to stay with us specially dive and water sports centre

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,925 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jumeirah vitavelli

arrchy ... you seem to be working for vitaveli and that's great but you have to declare yourself as such , so that the reader can take in account that your opinion may not be the most objective.

cleaning house reef weekly ? just how much garbage is in the sea in that area now to require that ? kind of a scary statement .

like bruce , I was last there when the island was bolifushi . unlike him, the industrial islands did bother me . they might not be in-you-face but who needs that in the Maldives . W is set in a supremely beautiful area and nothing unsightly in your view . I am no huge fan of W either but if the choice is between these two , its really not a toss up.

brand chasing is a poor idea in the Maldives . the environment is so unique that chains who apply the same corporate concept that works so well in an urban environment to the Maldives, the result is most often unimpressive. it takes a lot of corporate flexibility to make a Maldivian resort work

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jumeirah vitavelli

Usually we can collect two or three pieces at a time.not much.as like everywhere in the Maldives.So this is normal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jumeirah vitavelli

Hi

We have just returned from this resort. We have been to the Maldives 4 times and have 3 children. It is true that the garbage island is visible from the sunrise side BUT NOT the sunset side so it will not take away from your stay. Re the house reef - we have dived for years and the house reef is beautiful We had a lovely time - you will too.

london
Level Contributor
330 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jumeirah vitavelli

7 KM is nothing if the winds and currents are pointed towards you. I wouldn't book there personally given the toxicity of garbage island - there are many other places to go which do not have this nearby.

8. Re: Jumeirah vitavelli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 22, 2015