We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spear guns

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Spear guns

A recent review mentioned Russian tourists with spearguns in the water - slightly worried to say the least! Is this safe?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Spear guns

i am not sure why the idea of a speargun is frightening ... but its illegal and bad for the reef . it ends right there .. its not allowed to protect the ecosystem - just like fishing on the housereef is forbidden

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Spear guns

Hi spammie

Maybe I'm looking at too many shark films - but I've got this picture of fish being stabbed & the blood etc causing a reaction from other fish? Or at least bringing unwanted attention to us humans as "lunch" lol

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Spear guns

It's frightening because we don't have a gun culture in the UK. ;-)

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Spear guns

More to do with who is handling them and whether they know what they're doing....?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,837 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Spear guns

Many snorkelers don't look around for other people, some more than others I have had experience of. To put a speargun in posibily untrained hands where other holiday makers are........

Besides most people go to the reef to see the fish in their natural habitat, peace and serenity of the Maldives. Not see them killed.

I am mortified to hear about this. Have been persuaded that Biya would be the place for me, tho I found the prices steeper than I'd hoped. Now this.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Spear guns

isas ... no worries about shark . a speared fish does not start a feeding frenzy with tourists limbs everywhere .

however, speargun handling in the maldives could be very dangerous to the fool who has one .. cause if i came across him, we'd likely have .. words :)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Spear guns

Spammie

I appreciate your comments however, If we were unfortunate enough to come across a spear gun holder I would simply let the wife loose! She would take on spear guns day trippers & the Russians & still have time to get changed for dinner! Lol as far as the speargun mentioned in past review maybe it was a local giving it to a tourist as customs surely are not that slack? ....

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Spear guns

you would think a spear gun should be impossible to smuggle in .. i agree

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Spear guns

I very much doubt spear guns and knives are being smuggled in via international air, i think it much more likely that these items belong to the guest house the day tripper is staying at, probably used there for fishing, and the guest has simply borrowed them for the day...

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Spear guns

That makes more sense to me Froggy ..

Spammie .. The day I travelled home from Vila in July 2011 the divers had a 3m Tiger Shark ..

I would not like to have a diver next to me with a distressed bleeding speared fish attracting unwanted attention .. That's asking for trouble from a very unpredictable dangerous hunter

Any tourist spotted with hunting a spear gun or knife should be deported straight away in my opinion