We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips

Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Tips

Hi,

Just wondering what currency do you need for tips and what is the general amount to tip on Cocoa Island? Can most other things also just go on the hotel bill?

Thanks

Active Watersports Maafushi
Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,719 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips

you need US Dollars in small denominations for tips. yes, anything else can be charged to the room and paid for with plastic.

i tip the same on all islands .. guideline would be ...

roomboy 5$ every other day ... waiter 2$ each meal ...bar staff 5$ per eve or 2$ if i only have one drink and go. the staff bringing around cold towels/coocnuts on the beach, etc .. 2$ per service ... boatcrew (diveboat) 2$ per staffmember per trip .. compressor boy 20$ per week

Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips

Great thank you, all the info I needed

Cheers

bristol
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips

Don't forget the backroom staff

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,719 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips

indeed ... like Gengarvin says .... there is usually a tip box at reception, kitchen, etc ... which receives a largeish lump sum on my last evening for the staff you never see but who works hard for you

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips

Hi

There is a detailed FAQ to the right hand side of the forum which will give you additional information if needed.

Do tell your bank that you want small denomination bills, otherwise they will give you a load of $20s which aren't any use for small stuff.

OD

6. Re: Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 pm, June 22, 2013