We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilhuru in plaster

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ilhuru in plaster

We are due to go to Angsana Ilhuru for 5 nights in September before a holiday in Sri Lanka. I recently had to have unexpected surgery on my foot and will be in plaster for the trip. I can't put any weight on it or get it wet so will be on crutches/ wheelchair. If we cancel we will lose quite a bit of $$ although I understand that it will be a bit of a diminished experience as I can't swim or snorkel.

I wanted to know how much soft sand there is around the resort or are there firmer walkways to the bar/ restaurants etc?

How far it generally is from the room to the beach?

Also any idea how much cash we should bring in USD?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilhuru in plaster

sorry that happened to you ..

mostly sand except for the jetty, etc. (can you negotiate with your doc for an aircast or some alternative that can get wet?)

from room to beach .. just step off the decking ;0

cash (USD) for tips, souvenir purchases during a local island trip or a soft drink at the airport. all other expenses will be added to your bill and paid in plastic on the last eve.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilhuru in plaster

Oh, that's awful, very sorry to hear that!

The paths from the room to the restaurant and bar is sandy but fairly solid sand - ok for wearing shoes if one wanted to; ask them to put you in a room nearest to the restaurant; at least you can still use the spa and go on boat trips. Are you sure there is no waterproof casing you can get - you never know ...

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilhuru in plaster

Just as a thought, not to sure if it will fit over your plaster, but, could you wear a 'dry suit'?? Pity to miss out on the snorkelling!

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ilhuru in plaster

Thanks for your posts guys - they have been really helpful.

I am going to see the doc on Wednesday and will see what can be done but I am resigning myself to not being able to snorkel or swim in the ocean. I can't put any weight on my left foot so even getting in and out of the water would be a real challenge!

Maybe it means we need to start saving for another trip to the Maldives. Guess the lesson is to get travel insurance as soon as the trip is booked - it certainly would have given us more options with this trip....

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ilhuru in plaster

Sorry to hear you might not get into the water - a real shame for you. If you have to stay on land, I hope you find the views from the deck and your sunlounger as calming and peaceful as we did. Enjoy it anyway - it's a beautiful island!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ilhuru in plaster

Hi

If you google 'aterproof cover for plaster swimming'

you get lot of hits for products like "SIMMING BANDAGE COVER - Active SEAL is a safe, economical protector for casts and bandages during recreational water activities or daily showering and bathing. Easy application eliminates the need for pumps, velcro straps and adhesive tapes that may irritate skin. Made of TPE, a high performance thermoplastic elastomer that stretches easily, Active SEAL maintains a waterproof seal. Reusable and folds compactly. With normal care, lasts for three to four weeks of daily usage. Please note that it may be affected by chemicals and heat. Use for swimming, water sports, whirlpools, hot tubs, showering or bathing to protect casts and bandages."

Worth a try?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ilhuru in plaster

sounds like a winner .. i am still for the aircast as being more comfortable though.

hoping your doc is the creative type .. and yes... start saving for your next trip - thats a given under any circumstance :)

8. Re: Ilhuru in plaster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 21, 2010