We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

Devon
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

Hi

Me and my husband are going to Summer Island Village at the end of December for two weeks. I have read the reviews and the posts in the forum and they have been really helpful but I have a couple more questions.

Firstly, about swimming/snorkelling:

I love swimming and am a confident swimmer but my husband, although he loves being in the sea, doesn't go out of his depth as he can't really swim that well (He was never taught to swim so isn't confident). What I would like to know is, is it possible to snorkel from the beach and see some sealife without going out of your depth? What about on the snorkel trips? Am I right in assuming you are out of your depth when you go on the trip? Is it possible to do serious swimming (say 1 mile) in the sea or is the current too strong?

Secondly, about food:

My husband is also vegetarian - does the resort do food that doesn't have meat or fish in it? He doesn't mind having the same every day!

Finally, about excercise:

We are looking forward to this trip precisely because we want to do nothing except lie on the beach and go in the sea. However, husband especially is very active - is there any opportunity for exercise other than swimming?

Hoping to hear from anyone who has been to or is going to Summer Island.

Cheers

Esther

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

Esther,

We (myself, my wife and two kids aged 7 and 10) went in July and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly there. Hope you have a great time as we did!

To answer your questions:

The children, both learner swimmers, were able to see quite a bit of sea life snorkelling a short distance from the beach, particularly on the calmer 'jetty' side of the island. On the other side, where our room was, the currents seemed to be stronger but still there was a fair amount to see a short distance out. I'm not a particularly good swimmer with only one good knee, but I managed to swim around and see enough to take some very good photos. At low tide it is quite possible to wade quite a distance out, never mind swim!

We didn't go on any of the organised snorkelling trips, but were told that it was very advisable to be a proficient swimmer to go on one.

If you are a serious swimmer, then it seemed to be possible to do a laps of the island, which was what a Russian guy who was in a room close to ours was doing.

The food: As a strict omnivore, I didn't notice a formal vegetarian option, but for the lunch and evening meals there was always rice, potatoes, cooked vegetables, salads and pasta with any meat sauces served separately. It's worth talking to the very friendly restaurant manager or chefs when you get there though.

There isn't a gym on Summer Island, your only other choices for exercise are any of the other watersports they offer, badminton, or joining in with the staff in their 4pm football or volleyball matches as my son did.

Have a good time

Dave

Devon
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

Hi Dave

Thanks so much for your reply. It was exactly what I wanted to hear! We are very excited - only 6 weeks away now - and are sure we will have a great time.

Cheers

Esther

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

Hello to both of you

I read your review Dave yesterday and found it very helpful.

When you mention football - is there a football pitch or are we talking footy on the beach ?

I've also read that you can't take glasses back to the room with you. Would we be 'allowed' to take say a bottle of wine back to our room t enjoy on the balcony/veranda if I take my own plastic wine glasses ?

We're contemplating upgrading to a water villa too for the luxury of a tv, but you'll probably only get a few channels anyway I would imagine. The patios look a bit too friendly for my liking too - did you have a nosy in any ?

Any advice most welcome,

Jaime

Nottm
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

Hi Jaime

We have been to SIV twice (Jan 03 and 05) and we loved it!

There is no football pitch to speak of - the waiters, bar staff etc. get together in the afternoon for a kick-about or game of volley ball in an area in the 'middle' of the Island where the staff accommodation is. We didn't find it at all intrusive or noisy - and they'd be delighted if you want to join in!!

So far as glasses in your room go, we were told that they discourage this mainly because everyone walks about bare-foot but also because a lot of the staff are muslim and they don't want them to be tempted. Having said that, when we visited for the second time we received complimentary fruit and a bottle of wine and they supplied plastic wine glasses! So really wouldn't have thought they would object. Assuming you are All Inclusive, bear in mind that wine is served by the glass in the restaurant and the bar, so if you want a bottle you'll have to pay for it. You can take cans of beer back to your room, but they will insist on opening it. One other thing, the bar shuts at midnight ON THE DOT, so if you want a late drink order a couple of extras before hand. The staff will then shut up shop and leave you to it! But they turn the ceiling fans off and it gets very hot very quickly ! On a couple of occasions we did take drinks back to our room and never got any hassle over it.

We stayed in the standard beach bungalows, but did get chance to have nosy at a water bungalow. They are a bit more upmarket and spacious, plus I believe you can get room-service breakfast.

If you can't live without the TV there is one in the reception area.

Personally, I would recommend saving the money on the upgrade and treat yourselves to a bit of pampering in the spa, or a spot of water-ski-ing or a catamaran trip to a sandbank or moon/star lit dinner on the beach - very romantic !!!

Whatever you decide, have a fantastic time!

Cheers!

Kath

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

Jaime,

I think Kath has answered your questions, but just to add my few pence worth:

As regards taking glasses to the rooms, there is a notice in reception saying that that people would be fined for taking glasses back to their rooms, but in practice I never heard of that happening. We did take glasses to our room (as did many others) and never had a problem, probably because we were careful to take them back when finished - others were not quite so "tidy" and left them where they saw fit.

We did look into the water bungalows, but decided against it purely because it had a TV (and also because we would have needed 2 rooms at $50 per night!). It detracted from the desert island fantasy ideal in my view. From what we were told, there was a fair range of channels though.

I know it's not very blokey, but I would agree unreservedly with Kath about saving the cash and spending it in the Spa instead.

Or just try and get a water bungalow for the second half of your stay and have the best of both worlds!

Enjoy your stay

Dave

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

Hi Estherina

We have just returned from summer island on tuesday 7 days club bentota sri lanka then 8 days at summer island village.We had a great time at both youll see more than enough tropical fish without having to go out of your depth.Go down to the end of the pier at about 4.30 pm daily and youll see the huge stingrays.The food choice is good with plenty of pasta,rice ,veg and salads without meat in and some great puddings.One last word on the water bungalows go for it we did it was well worth the extra cost.We had reef shark ,stingrays etc swim under our bungalow.The glass bottom floor is also illuminated at night,then what more than breakfast brought to your room in the morning.Im sure you will have a great time.

Fish58

7. Re: Swimming & Eating & Exercise at Summer Island Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 27, 2009