We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baros House Reef

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dortmund
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Baros House Reef

Hi to everyone :)

In March 2013 I first visited the Maldives, we've stayed at Royal Island. 2014 we are staying at Baros. If you have been at Baros I would be really thankful if you could have a short look at a few questions. :)

At Royal Island it was possible to enter the house reef from almost every part of the island. Is it the same way at Baros?

Is it possible to snorkel completely around without leaving the water?

Can you recommend a room-number (Deluxe-Villa), regarding the best parts/entrances for the house reef?

Thanks in advance. :)

Kind regards

cyberesel

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baros House Reef

Hi

We stayed at Baros in September and are returning in April and despite studying the Island map with reef entrances marked (I got a copy from the dive centre) I cannot remember! Pretty sure though the reef isn't all the way round ... there are lots of entry points, some not suitable during low tide or to be used with care during low tide ( hence the map). We stayed in a north facing water villa and snorkelled straight from there.

Maria will no doubt advise more specifically soon.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baros House Reef

Is it the map on this link Karla?

baros.com/uploads/wysiwyg/documents/Dive%20C…

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baros House Reef

Royal island is almost surrounded by sea breakers now, so you only had to pass through them to the reef, and it's the same at Baros. There are deluxe villas at three points in the island: sunset side: 116-124, with no reef access, north side: 106-115 and by the restaurants: 101-105. I wouldn't recommend 101-105, as that's the area where you can see Male a little bit in the distance (no big deal anyway), and i liked it less than the others sites. So you only have 106-115 for reef access in a better beach area. There will be a gap in the breakers close to all the villas, so I'd consider the beach area as the deciiding point. This afternoon I'll look my pictures so I can tell you my favourite and most prívate villas. Anyway, the best reef area (for me) is in front of the water villas and specially if you continue swimming away of the island. There's a beautiful coral garden by the snadbank.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baros House Reef

Yes, that is the map.

Didn't know it was available online.

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baros House Reef

Do have a chat to dive centre staff - I always do at every island - and although I don't dive Baros' were exceptionally friendly and helpful (one located and lent me charger for my UW camera as I took wrong one). They pointed out place where loads of nurse sharks hang out ie sleep during day,

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baros House Reef

I have looked at my pictures and deluxe villas 106-110, which are by the Baros villas could be my choice, as they have a very nice and soft villa in front of them. Numbers like 115, which are closer to the water villas have a worst beach (with little corals and more things).

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baros House Reef

whats a "soft villa" lol?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baros House Reef

Oh my God, soft sand...

Dortmund
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baros House Reef

Thank you very much, that was the information I was searching for! :)

Someone else have been there? (Maybe there and at Royal Island and can compare?)

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baros House Reef

I was at royal, what do you want to know?

Edited: 12:17 am, December 19, 2013