We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal costs at Bandos Island

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Meal costs at Bandos Island

Another question!

I'm travelling to Bandos on a bed & breakfast basis, what is the cost of eating at the island? Would it be easier to opt for the full board option, though I do like a bit of variety in my meals and not all from a buffet.

As ever I appreciate your help.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

Hi below is cut and pasted from my previous post - we were on Bandos in early March - have a great time!! I would recommend the B&B option everytime.

We returned from Bandos this week - you will have a great time. We also went B&B and didnt find our final bill at the end of the week too bad. Remember you have to add 10% to everything though.

Tiger beer - draught $4.50

Tiger beer - bottle $3.50

Cocktails - around $6-$8 I can recommend the Bermudian Rose!!!

We ate mostly curries & satays with rice and paid around $10 - $15 per person each evening.

Pizza $10

Cheesecake $7

Banana Split $7

Large bottle of water $1.82

Please also be aware that although you get a 25% discount on drinks (including bottled water) during happy hour - the 10% service charge is calculated on the price before the discount!!!

Hope this helps

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

Hi n55rs

Hope you had a great time! Which room type did you stay in? We have booked a junior suite and have looked at the map of the island. Do you have any recommendations as to which side of the island would be best? We have also booked bed & breakfast so according to your report have done the right thing. Having read another post, do the sunbeds have mattresses? I have a dodgy back and will take a lilo or something if not.

Thanks for any info. This forum is addictive reading!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

Hi,

Sunbeds are just white plastic although comfy enough with a towel. Mind you I haven't a dodgy back!! Read my previous post regarding sunbeds though!!

We had a fantastic holiday - we both said it was our best ever and would go back in a second.

We stayed in a Jacuzzi beach villa and it was great. Ours was the vey last one (150) before the sundowner bar and water sport centre. The beach in front of the water sports centre is a lovely wide stertch and the stretch to the other side of the Sundowners bar is by far the most beautiful. This is also where the access to the house reef is.

No matter where you are or what you do you will have a fantastic time I am sure.

Relax and enjoy!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

Thank you for your response, very helpful. Sounds like it doesn't matter which part of the island you stay then, although have read there is building works but I'm hoping that will be complete by the time we go at the end of June. I'm not that bothered about not having mattresses on the sunbeds but thought it best to go prepared. I am prepared to be in agony to make the most of the sun too!!!

Sorry, another question: Is it best to take your own snorkelling equipment? It is pretty cheap to buy here in the UK so not sure whether its worth taking with us or to hire.

Thanks again.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

We got ours on ebay before we went.

Rental from Bandos in March was:

Mask, Fins & Snorkel $8

Mask $3

Fins$4

Snorkel $2

I think that is per day - but not sure. Also remember to add 10%.

I only "potter" about in mine but I believe we got value for money as it was great to just use them as and when we needed to.

I can also try the ploy that as we now own these things we should go again "to get our moneys worth"!!!!!!!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

Thanks again. I have already looked on Ebay so will now perhaps go ahead and get them just so we have our own. I also like your way of thinking ... if we have the snorkelling gear we will just HAVE to go again !! We will be stopping off in Dubai for 6 days on the way back, are the fins very big to pack in the suitcase? I really don't want to take up more space than I have to with all the shopping malls in Dubai tempting me to buy clothes!!!

Have looked at Bandos on Google Earth which is just amazing. I can see the beach villas quite clearly. Do you know which area of the island the standard rooms and junior suites are? I could then zoom in on those too. You really must have a look, it is incredible.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

Just you wait until you see the real thing!!!!

We had already started to plan a return trip before we landed just from the stunning view from the plane then we walked out of the airport to the most amazing blue water and we were blown away by the beauty of it!! I haven't had chance to look at Google Earth yet but if you need to know which rooms are which........................

If you start at the harbour and go clockwise around the island you have the beach villas and water villas first, (garden villas are behind these by the pool) carry on clockwise and you then get to tthe service harbour and jetty where Sundowners is (make sure you try the Chicken Satay!). The next lot of buildings are the standard rooms and the Junior suites are the next buildings before you end up back at the harbour.

If you go to Google and type in Bandos Island and click IMAGES you can see a map etc there.

With regards to the flippers - we used those pull along holdall type bags and a pair fitted into each of the side pockets no problem.

My husband managed to get sunburnt feet quite early on in the holiday and had difficulty wearing his flippers but managed the house reef easily enough without them. So if you bear that in mind you might not need to use up valuable shopping space!.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

Oh my gawd, is this going to be another place to get hooked on???? Sounds very much like it to me, probably just as well to buy the snorkelling gear then. Great idea of where to pack them, thanks. We also take those kind of pull along holdalls so that sounds perfect. Not really sure how I will get on using the snorkel stuff though, will just have to go for it.

Thanks for the brilliant description of where the rooms types are on the island. I have a map that I printed from the web and can now relate to which is which. It looks as if there are more standard rooms all around the perimeter and then finish off with the junior suites, as you look at the harbour to your right. Will definitely sample your food recommendation, my kind of food for sure!

Have you looked at the Hayes & Jarvis website? They seem to have quite a few offers to Bandos. We booked our flights and accommodation separately because we wanted to incorporate Dubai on the way back. I think it has worked out a little cheaper. Destinology.co.uk gave us the best price for the Bandos accommodation. Sorry, I hope I'm not encouraging you to start booking up for next year already!!! If you get a good deal it eases the conscience a bit!

Thank you for your invaluable help, it is much appreciated.

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meal costs at Bandos Island

Sunbeds by the pool have nice thick mattresses on. I'm hooked on this place, have been 3 times and plan to go back later this year. Standard rooms are really nice. People are lovely. Diving is fantastic