We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Hello All,

We are finally planning for a holiday of a lifetime after 6 years of wedlock and before we start a family :-)

Having looked around and read through all the reviews on here, I feel the Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo is a great place for us and wanted to ask you if this is the best choice (our budget is not more than £2500 all inclusive)

Second, we are going for a week on June 24th - while I know it's not the preferred time, does it really rain a lot in June?

Finally, I have checked deals with Thomson and First Choice, prices are pretty much the same. I have always planned my own trips but this time, the best offer is going with either of these holidays operators. Are they both equally good or is one better than the other?

Thank you in advance for helping us plan our wonderful holiday!

Ken

england
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Totally agree with what everyone else has just said about snorkelling. Sometimes I might only manage to go a few feet because I just lie there and look at what is below me. It is not like swimming from A to B. You have no destination in mind when you set off. All you are doing is looking at what is below you.

What you really need to do on day 1 at Reethi ( I am now convinced that you will get there) is to master flippers. The resort will probably offer a snorkelling lesson every day. Go on it and learn to use the flippers. If you have problems speak to the person who takes the lesson because they WILL help you. If there is a guided reef tour go on that. At Athuruga the lesson immediately precedes the reef tour and if it is like that at Reethi the person who took the lesson will know that you have no experience and look out for you. If you have any queries speak to the staff in the dive shop. They are generally young energetic enthusiastic folk who like nothing better than to help a novice. I wish I was as enthusiastic as they.

I do not know what the reef at Reethi is like but I am sure that you will be flabbergasted at what you see on your first snorkel. Most people are entranced by the fish. I am overcome by the coral. I just love it. The underwater world is so beautiful.

Having said all that, snorkelling will only be a part of your holiday. Look forward to great hospitality and great food. Your accommodation will be first class. People say that the Maldives are expensive. Yes it is cheaper to go to Europe or the Caribbean or Thailand. BUT, and it is a big but, there is no where like the Maldives. Nowhere.

Within 1 hour of your first snorkel, you will have Maldiveitis - that is if you haven't already caught it by then - it is highly likely that you will already be infected.

Have a fabulous time.

On the Reef
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
82. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Just to add that hubbyfishface is not a strong swimmer and had never snorkelled before our first visit to Reethi but he was completely hooked and happily snorkelling within a day. By he end of our 14 night stay he was floating around the drop-off identifying all the fish.

We are going back for a third time in 2013 (and I will find my nurse shark this time)

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

I'm not a confident or particularly strong swimmer, put me in a pool and I panic and barely make it to the other end! Snorkelling is a different matter! I started off in the shallows and I have a float (like the kids rectangular ones) which goes inside my rub vest creating my own jacket., but much more buoyant. After a few days on our honeymoon I made it out onto the main reef and really loved it. My float meant I could stop and just float if I needed to. Last holiday I was straight out over the drop off and by the end of it was without my float over the drop off. It really is a matter of floating, just maybe with a little help!

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
84. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Dear All,

A quick update on my side on the latest about our trip. Due to a family illness we have to now postpone our trip to possibly mid September which is bang on our 6th anniversary.

We had pretty much finalized Reethi with Travel Designers but had to back off when we got the news.

Thanks to all your help. I will re-post once we get through this illness and start planning again

Ken

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

Good luck kenfrapin, hope everything turns out ok...

Ian

Southampton
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
86. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

I know its late but just seen your questions. My comment is that we have travelled with Thomson 4 times to Maldives, twice to Cuba, 4 times to Dom Rep and a few others, and we have NEVER found any problems. The planes are comfortable, on-flight meals are so-so, but we are always happy with our hols with them. AND the Maldives are wonderful, have a super holiday.

87. Re: Our Holiday of a lifetime - advice requested

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about North Male Atoll