We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maidstone, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

My best friend booked to go in a group of 12 (adults and children) to Meeru resort for her mum's 70th birthday next month. They booked through Thomson months ago and specifically asked for beach villas - it's only now that the tickets have arrived they've found out they've been allocated garden rooms instead which they really didn't want. Thomson admit it's their mistake but say all the beach villas are now full and are only offering £40 per person compensation or a refund if they don't go. My friend's mum is so upset because this was her holiday dream trip and £40 just seems a laughable amount. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my friend could do - is it worth contacting the resort direct for help? She doesn't even how to work out the difference in value of the different accommodations because the holidays are no longer available to book. What do people think is reasonable to ask for in this situation? Many thanks.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

Hard one to call unfortunately because it's peak season and I doubt Meeru would have enough BVs even if you contacted them direct, the issue lies with Thomson and is for them to sort out.

I know on Vila (same company) the price difference between a Garden Room and a BV is somewhere around £100-200 depending on length of stay/time of year so actually £40 per person if there are 2/3 in each room is probably about right.

Obviously it's not a nice situation but I think they either have to bite the bullet and go and make the most of it or try and cancel the trip and go another time. You can try and negeotiate for higher levels of compensation.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

i would noty go away quietly ... i consider this their first offer with lots of room to negotiate up.

the biggest problem is the peak season and the number of people to accomodate but perhaps push for an upgrade to a better island. the fact that they booked such a low value island can work in their favor as almost any island that can host this large group , will be an upgrade. i would try to see if on of the other large islands has rooms .. vilamendhoo , or kuramathi perhaps ?

meeru overbooks as a matter of principle at all times anyhow .. chances are they would not have received the rooms they booked in the first place ... but why not push for a hgher roomclass than beachvillas .. they are due compensation for thompson's mistake and should make this clear to the company right from the beginning .

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

Agree with Spammie - don't take this lying down. If it was me I'd be jumping up and down insisting that they either find you another island for the same price (which as said would in all likelihood be an upgrade anyway), or upgrade you on the island. No way would I accept a downgrade to a Garden room - well unless they were going to compensate you hugely ie £200 each! It is after all Thomsons mistake and a few carefully chosen words about contacting the media etc might help. - especially given the problems they are having at the moment!

SL

Edited: 10:31 am, January 13, 2012
Maidstone, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

Thanks for everyone's advice. After putting some polite pressure on Thomson, they initially upped their compensation offer to a lump sum of £1000, then today have magically 'found' 3 beach villas that weren't previously available. It's all a bit of a mystery, but my friend is happy and I really hope it all works out when they arrive at Meeru.

Thanks again.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

Oh dear, knowing Meeru's overbooking policy it looks like three other unsuspecting couples will get booted out of there beach-villas!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

Hmm, suspect Robin is Robin right, someone else will be turret. Not your friends fault obviously, as they are only requesting what they booked and paidnfor,, but it's thomsons and the resort, am surprised anyone still uses thomsons, the amount of complaints we see on here.

7. Re: Advice please for friend with accommodation mix-up on Meeru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, February 09, 2013