We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dhonveli Beach and Spa enquiry

Sheffield UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Dhonveli Beach and Spa enquiry

We have booked to stay at Dhonveli beach and spa in September for our 25th wedding aniversary, has anyone stayed in the maldives in September, is the weaher ok?.

We are staying in a sunset villa and have read reviews that the beach on that side of the island is not sandy but shingles. Please put our minds at ease as it is to be a special occasion. Also, do the Italians take over the place and are they noisy. Will all the work on the island be finished for September and will it be paradise?

Hope you can all help me out there. Thanks

Pam

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dhonveli Beach and Spa enquiry

I am off there in 5 weeks, and will post a review.

Building work is due to finish mid March, and is ON target.

Dhonveli is by far one of the cheapest Islands you will find, so I am not expecting the Hilton.

Weather in Sept should be OK. I went 2 years ago in September, and when It rained it poured, but only during the night !!!

No Italian will spoil your holiday. All the islands are beautiful, and I am sure you will enjoy it !!

UK
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dhonveli Beach and Spa enquiry

There are no sandy beaches on Dhonveli. It is all coarse crushed coral. The beach on the Sunset villa side of the island is small and shingle.

Regarding Italians, they were an absolute pain in the neck while we were there, especially the cocky and disruptive "animation team". Even the staff were fed up of them and their lack of manners. One woman kicked off big time in the restaurant when a fan was blowing on her during dinner. Bearing in mind the high humidity there, the fans were heaven sent! But no, she wanted them off and went absolutely spare screaming at the waiters whose jobs are hard enough already. We were disgusted but the fans stayed on :)

Anyway, the good news is that we were told that the Teorema (the Italian operator) contract is up at the end of march and it won't be renewed on the same terms. First Choice will be taking over more rooms and so the British will soon be in the majority. Also the animation team are expected to be leaving at the same time because there will be so fewer Italian guests. Therefore I wouldn't worry about the Italians if you are travelling after March.

Overall the island can only be rated as average - there are prettier ones and having visited a few others while we were there, we will be going elsewhere next time. However the staff were truly fantastic and these bad points are no reflection on them. They cannot do enough for you, always with a smile, and they do all they can to make your stay more enjoyable. Also you'll love the food - lots of choice and plenty if you're veggie. Some good excursions too - try Kuda Bandos for a great day out.

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
Sheffield UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dhonveli Beach and Spa enquiry

Thanks for the info Ianius, its good news about the italians as they sound a pain! What have you heard about the day trip to Kuda Banos, its a deserted island I believe. Do you think we might be best changing our villa to a sunrise instead of a sunset to get a better beach?

PRESTON
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dhonveli Beach and Spa enquiry

Hi, yes if you can change to a sunrise cottage I would definately recommend it. As I said in my review they had the best part of the beach and lagoon area.

Have a great holiday