We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Hulhule airport

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Layover in Hulhule airport

Can anyone please suggest where I can spend 4-5 hours at Male International airport ( Hulhule)? Airport lounge only allows 3 hours maximum. My flight leaves at 1045pm. I will be at the airport by 3pm that means I can only use the lounge starting 745pm that leaves me from 3pm- 745pm with nothing to do. Hulhule Hotel seems the nearest place to chill- maybe swim but I really don't want to do that nor spend any more money on anything extra. Anyone who has been in this kind of situation? Thanks.

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

theladybear - there are 3 airport lounges at male - 1 before check in and 2 after check in. now I am not sure if this is possible but as a suggestion................... depending on what card you have to gain entry to the lounges see if you can spend some time in one before going to the other !

I would think what the lounge staff would be more conscious of is having guests overstaying and the lounge losing money - so they could re -swipe your card and then this would be charged onto who ever has issued it.

(check what lounges your card gives you access to beforehand).

hope this helps.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

We left our island at 10am ish and flew out at 23.45. So we went Hulhule, but it did turn out expensive as it was raining, so we were stuck in doors all day buying snacks and drinks and meals etc - and there was nothing there to do especially as it was cold and wet outside.

However, you could potentially sit in the airport - the bit before you go through gates for as long as you want.

OR....a better option in my opinion would be to pay the $5 dollars per case/bag/item and leave it in the secure luggage room in Male airport. I would then go around Male for a few hours.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

Thank you Cassie France. That bit of information does help. Appreciate your quick reply.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

Hi Maldives Dream - can you share what you did in Male? Is there enough to do for 4 hours? Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

You could ask your resort to organise a tour of Male. These tours are done by the tourism board and are usually free.

As far as I'm aware, there's no lounge at Male airport until after you've checked in and gone through security and they won't let you in to the airport until 3 hours before your flight is due.

There's a decent Movenpick ice cream cafe just outside the airport, but if you have such a long time, better to drop your luggage off at the airport then go over to Male.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

Thanks Kanthony.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

Hi, There's not a great deal to do in Male, other than walk past the Mosque, presidents quaters, fish market and fruit market. Then there are the shops and cafes etc.

It's not very picturesque, as you may expect from a relatively poor capital. But it might be worth going to pass a few hours?

I'm glad I went once, but I wouldn't rush back if that makes sense.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

I get you MaldivesDream. Once would be enough. Thanks for the input.

9. Re: Layover in Hulhule airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, October 29, 2012