We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bandos and time in Sri Lanka

Which North Male Atoll hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Bandos and time in Sri Lanka

Hi

We are flying back from Bandos at 8.00 p.m. with Sri Lankan via Colombo but have a long change over. What is there to do in Colombo to pass the time before the flight departs about 04.30 a.m. or should we just sit in the Airport?

England
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bandos and time in Sri Lanka

Hi Veli

If you are departing from Male at 8pm, the flight's about an hour to SL, so you should arrive about 9pm, I can't remember if there's a time difference, I don't think so! Assuming you're flying Sri Lankan airlines all the way to the UK, if it's possible, make sure you check your baggage in at Male, straight through to LHR. That way you won't have to bother collecting it in CMB and checking it back in.

Negombo is only a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport and there are plenty of hotels and restaurants to choose from, with any luck you could be there by 9.30pm.

The airport security is very stringent and overbooking is rife, so I would suggest that you do allow the full 3 hours to check back in for your return flight to the UK.

If you decide to stay in the airport, I think it's possible to pay for access to the Peacock Lounge (mine always comes with my ticket, so I'm not sure how you go about it) but they have TV, free internet connection, free bar, canapes, newspapers, magazines and very comfortable sofas.

Foxie

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bandos and time in Sri Lanka

Foxie, thanks for the info - looking forward to the hols.

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bandos and time in Sri Lanka

Sorry, one other query regarding time in Sri Lanka - can we get by with US dollars or do we need local currency? Thanks.

England
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bandos and time in Sri Lanka

Hi again

You'll need to change some currency if you're going into Negombo. In the airport arrivals lounge are plenty of exchange bureau and the rates are quite good, so change some before you grab a taxi.

When you check back in, in the departure lounge, there's a desk to change it back again, you can't take the currency out of the country.

I've never caught a taxi at the airport in CMB so maybe someone else could advise you on how much it should cost.

Foxie

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bandos and time in Sri Lanka

Thanks Foxie

England
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bandos and time in Sri Lanka

You're quite welcome. I really hope you have a good time, I could do with a holiday myself.

I'd suggest you post another, separate topic if you're planning on going into Negombo (the city of Colombo is a long drive from the airport). There are loads of people on this forum who know taxi prices, good places to eat and how much it'll cost you. I don't know Negombo that well myself but someone will advise you and then you'll know how much to take.

Foxie