Having returned from Filitheyo on 2nd May 2007, I'm interested to speak with anyone else who went down with food poisoning caused by (according to other guests) the chocolate mousse from Wednesday 25th April's evening buffet.
My wife and along with nine or ten other guests (according to the doctor) was struck with the most appalling case of food poisoning. She is now glad to be back in England, away from the mad man dispensing tablets on the island. We are waiting for the analysis reports to determine just what she was infected with.
The resort manager lied and the doctor (initially) lied to me that she was suffering from a reaction to spicy food - something I know they have tried to peddle to other guests. Once I informed the doctor that seven other guests had the same symptons, he then changed tack and became defensive. Before leaving the resort, I insisted on a medical certificate from him, it was then that he said "as you know, there are nine or ten other cases on the island". That's two or three more than I knew about.
I would like to see some justice served here and the resort be fined, not only for poisoning ten or more people, ruining so many holidays, lying about the entire thing from the outset but also so that they pay for the pain they have caused.
The following link shows that even as far away as the Maldives, the cowardly cannot hide, so I urge everyone affected to take legal action against the resort: