We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

London, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

Having returned from Filitheyo on 2nd May 2007, I'm interested to speak with anyone else who went down with food poisoning caused by (according to other guests) the chocolate mousse from Wednesday 25th April's evening buffet.

My wife and along with nine or ten other guests (according to the doctor) was struck with the most appalling case of food poisoning. She is now glad to be back in England, away from the mad man dispensing tablets on the island. We are waiting for the analysis reports to determine just what she was infected with.

The resort manager lied and the doctor (initially) lied to me that she was suffering from a reaction to spicy food - something I know they have tried to peddle to other guests. Once I informed the doctor that seven other guests had the same symptons, he then changed tack and became defensive. Before leaving the resort, I insisted on a medical certificate from him, it was then that he said "as you know, there are nine or ten other cases on the island". That's two or three more than I knew about.

I would like to see some justice served here and the resort be fined, not only for poisoning ten or more people, ruining so many holidays, lying about the entire thing from the outset but also so that they pay for the pain they have caused.

The following link shows that even as far away as the Maldives, the cowardly cannot hide, so I urge everyone affected to take legal action against the resort:

irwinmitchell.com/PressOffice/PressReleases/…

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

Jace, I have no comments really apart from saying i'm sorry your wife was ill and it ruined the holiday. I read the link and was horrified at the findings. Hopefully u toocan be rewarded some kind of compensation.

Keep us updated.

Lindsey

Lancs
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

Sorry to hear your news, hope you and your wife have recovered.

My girlfriend and I have just booked to go here mid-October, I hope that this isnt a sign of things to come. Grim!

Dublin
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

So sorry to read aboutyour ruined holiday.

Also that press release makes for scary visions...

The Maldives are so beautiful and the people so lovely. Unfortunetly there will be the odd place / scenario that let's a place down.

I think that you are right to pursue this. The very fact that they lied about this is wrong. Also, if a doctor lied to me about a condition I had, I would be furious. How dare she? Reaction to spicey food, my asssss.

I got food poisoning in a so called top class restaurant a few years ago. I later complained to them and they told me that I must have been poisoned somewhere else. I was so mad but you know, I didn't pursue it - wish I did now. Just the fact that they were not prepared to even consider it a possibility that they may have been at fault. Feckers.

Best of luck, Lu

Lancs
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

You might be interested in what the people at the hotel currently think of it, I emailed them airing my concerns, heres what I sent:

Dear Raman,

Thank you for the information you sent a few weeks ago, we booked a 2 week stop at your hotel a couple of weeks ago for October.

However, I am rather concerned about some very recent reviews that I have read concerning cases of food poisoning that has effected 9+ guests that ate in the buffet restaurant, here is a link to one of the reviews in question: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g298328-i9579-Fa…

and also: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g298328-d4…

To say that Im rather concerned by this is an understatement taking into account of the cost of vacationing at your resort.

Please can you tell me what is being done to rectify this, at this rate I am seriously considering cancelling.

Kind regards

Jeff

And heres the response I got:

Dear Jeff,

Thank you very much for the mail, some of our clients stayed during the mentioned have complained of loose motion which I think can be attributed to many things, I do not think it is food poisoning, however at present we do not have any problems.

Thank you,

With kind regards,

Abdulla Jabir

Assistant Resort Manager

Filitheyo Island Resort

North Nilandhe Atoll

Rep. of Maldives

Mobile: +960 777 5002

Tel: +960 6740025

Fax: +960 6740024

London, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

Hi Jeff,

thanks for posting that reply, it's nice to know that they are still denying food poisoning.

Symptoms are vomitting, fever, stomach cramps, diarreah and shivering. My wife is still unable to return to work, this is now 12 days since she fell ill. We get the lab results back tomorrow which will shed some light on just what she and the others picked up.

"Loose Motion"? My wife actually cracked a smile at that, thanks to Fili for yet another funny line.

ps if you do go and don't fall ill, the place is actually nice. It's just a shame that the resort management have no idea what customer satisfaction is all about. No attempt was ever made to make my wife's stay any better than it was, and I spent the majority of the holiday looking after her. The Maldives are normally quite good though, check out Filaholi - great island, fantastic management who couldn't do enough for us.

Lancs
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

Well, its booked now so fingers crossed we manage to get through the 2 weeks without that kind of experience.

Good luck with the case if you get it that far, sounds like someone needs to do something.

Jeff

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

So what did the lab results reveal, jaceLondon?

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

Right it's like watching CSI and not seeing the end. Of course in this case we only have one version of the beginning (smiles)

London, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

Hi all,

I can't say what CSI is like, but this has been very unpleasant, until now!

I just received a reply from the parent company who are now looking to handle things.

My wife was confirmed with food poisoning and is now recovering (at long last) - though she still can't even think about a buffet meal.

I am happy to report that the response I received suggested that they may make reparations for the incident which is good news. The parent resort has asked for 28 days to perform an investigation, I have passed this information on to other affected guests.

All we all want is to be able to go somewhere and if something serious happens, then at the very least we get a sincere apology and our money back.

I just dread to think what would happen if anyone allergic to nuts suffers an anaphylactic reaction as a result of cross contaminated food at the resort.

So far, we have just ten cases of food poisoning, next time it could be far worse.

ps thanks for all the best wishes, I think I forgot to say thanks before!

Spalding...
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: food poisoning for at least 10 couples, wednesday 25th April

Just as a matter of interest what kind of food poisoning did your wife get... I only ask so we know what types of food to be wary off.

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Faafu Atoll