We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the sea warm enough to snorkel in march?

chichester
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is the sea warm enough to snorkel in march?

would April have warmer sea temps / (as I don't have a wet suit)

& is Sharm the best place to base myself for snorkeling

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the sea warm enough to snorkel in march?

If you want to snorkel in Baa Atoll you don't want to base yourself in Sharm!

The water in the Maldives is plenty warm enough to snorkel every month of the year - roughly 28C but can be hotter snorkelling in a shallow lagoon.

Snorkelling in Egypt is not something I have experienced - I wouldn't go there because of security issues - but I gather that it can get chilly there.

Not sure whether you're trying to decide between them or think they are a lot closer than they actually are!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the sea warm enough to snorkel in march?

for any snorkeling in march or april in egypt , i personally would require a wetsuit.

in the maldives however, you will be fine with just a t shirt which is mostly for protecting your shoulders from getting burned.

lastly , should you plan to attempt to snorkel the maldives from a base in sharm , then i would strongly advise against that . it's quite a commute. lmao

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the sea warm enough to snorkel in march?

I think you have probably posted in the wrong forum. I was in Sharm last February and the sea wasn't warm enough for snorkelling. The daily temp was between 20 and 25 degrees but not the sea or the pools for that matter!

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the sea warm enough to snorkel in march?

Man from Atlantis - Sharm is the best place to base yourself when snorkelling in the Maldives. When you've had enough simply move on to Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia; it's only a short swim...............

chichester
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the sea warm enough to snorkel in march?

Excellent reply from Rex-Diver ,loved it , Just noticed I am on the Baa Atol Forum , how silly of me, I was in the Maldives Just after the Tsunami.

& as most people cancelled ,we had Meerrufenfushi almost to ourselves, & allowed to stay in the best accom (as thanks for not cancelling,) However this time round economics dictate it must be Sharm

6. Re: Is the sea warm enough to snorkel in march?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Baa Atoll