We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving_ What age

Essex England
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving_ What age

We are going to Reethi Beach in August, my daughter will then be eleven.

She has started a diving course, but I am a little apprehensive about her diving in the Maldives, perhaps I'm just a paranoid mum. Does anyone know what age restrictions etc apply

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,125 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

Hi

Reethi Beach has a PADI dive school , this is from the PADI website

Minimum Age: 10 years when accompanied in the course by a parent or legal guardian. Individuals older than 12 may take the course without their parent or legal guardian without their partent or guardian, but with consent required. Students younger than 15 who successfully complete the course qualify for the PADI Junior Open Water Diver certification, which they may upgrade to PADI Open Water Diver certification upon reaching 15.

The website for the dive school is:

www.malediven.at/divenews/seaexplorer.htm

Simon

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,125 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

I'm not sure specifically regarding Reethi Beach but the accepted standard is 10 years old minimum with the exception of the PADI Bubblemaker course whish is aimed primarily at 8 - 9 year olds.

If I were you I would be more paranoid about letting your daughter dive anywhere in the world APART from the Maldives. In all my travels they are the most professional dive operators I've ever come across & the Maldives has an exemplary safety record, which is even more impressive given the amount of diving that goes on at the resorts in relation to the guests.

I'm sure that the Instructors / Divemasters will keep a very close eye on your daughter & she'll be fine.......................Your nerves might be frayed but she'll love it!!

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,125 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

Beat me to it Simon.............you obviously type faster than I.........lol

Essex England
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

Thanks for the advice, not worried about the diving standards in the Maldives I'm sure the safety record is superb I'm just a nervous mum!

According to Hayes and Jarvis she has to be twelve to dive, so maybe next year. I'm sure the snorkelling will be fantastic anyway.....?

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

The snorkelling will be fantastic if your daughter is not able to dive. I am pretty sure Reethi beach dive school will offer your daughter some introductory dives to start with if you are feeling apprehensive. They are a 5 star dive outfit, and most dive schools in the Maldives are extremely helpful, friendly and not pushy at all. ... activegirl

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,125 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

I would ignore the age limit set by H & J, check with the dive centre on the resort but PADI rules say 10 years old with a parent................

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

Yes, the snorkelling is fantastic. It's just like sticking your head into a well stocked & healthy aquarium..............

United States
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

If I'm reading Wilkins post correctly Rex I think what she is saying is that "nervous mum" is not exactly volunteering to be the parent or guardian going diving with the child (smiles). Come on mum ...you will love the diving experience!

Actually I would be a bit more cautious myself with a child that age. Obviously it depends on the childs physical maturity and comfort level in the water. Going out for a dive in the Lagoon is one thing. Going for a dive in the Maldives during some times of the year is another. I would assume that a professional at any of the resorts would not encourage new divers to go on many dives because of the simple facts that currents can sometimes be pretty brisk in the Maldives and its not totally unheard of for groups to get separated.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

I agree with skibum .. personally I think 10 is a little young .. PADI did have a minimum age of 12 but they changed it ..

It does depend on the child though .. I have done a lot of Discover Scuba's with kids and the maturity of 10-12 year olds can be vastly different

Simon

Chester, UK
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Scuba Diving_ What age

We are going to Reethi Beach with our 14 year old daughter on July 21st until August 6th - can't wait!

Our daughter did her PADI Junior Open Water when she was 11 (on Kuredu, Maldives) and has since dived in Borneo and Tobago with her Dad (I am the nervous Mum, who just enjoys snorkelling and usually waits anxiously for them to come back!). She really enjoys diving. The course was pretty hard work (lots of studying whilst on holiday) - she was the only Junior in her group, the other 3 were adults - (her Dad was already qualified, so didn't do the course with her). She was really well looked after. I'd say 'Go for it!' (I just wish I had!).

Mentioned in this post
Reethi Beach Resort
Reethi Beach Resort
2,125 Reviews
Baa Atoll
Kuredu Island Resort & Spa
Kuredu Island Resort...
8,408 Reviews
Kuredu
Get answers to your questions about Baa Atoll