We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your expert opinons please

kent
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Your expert opinons please

Hi, We go to CPDK in four weeks time on our first trip to the Maldives and are so excited. Spent ages reviewing all the islands and decided on CPDK based on all of your honest opinons.

We don't normally stay 5 star so this will be a real treat for us, we liked the 'not too posh' approach but exceptional service and great food reiews and am hoping it meets all our expectations.

Picked up lots of great tips on here but was wondering if we needed 'wet shoes' for the reef. Is it difficult to walk out to snorkle? don't fancy getting our feet ripped to shreds on the coral.

Also, we booked half board and got a free upgrade to full board so should only have to pay for our drinks. I,ve read they are very expensive and we like a drink (or two) in the evenings and in the case of my husband 'beer o'clock' is midday so expecting a big bar bill at the end of our stay. How much is a large beer? and a bottle of house white?

My husband will use the gym and we wondered if you have to pay for water whilst in there?

We are staying in the basic beach villa; do they have a hairdryer?

Anyone know what the humidity is like in the evenings at end of May? I am dreading the 'bad hair' days, ladies; any frizz tips?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sea Explorer
Scuba & Snorkeling
Soleni Dive Centre
Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your expert opinons please

torjor -

I presume you mean walking from the beach out to the sea and not walking on live coral ? I do not take wet shoes but put on fins in the sea sitting down then snorkel out to the interesting bits of reef.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your expert opinons please

You'll have a great time at CPDK, you won't be disappointed with the service and it's a lovely island.

No need to take sea shoes, just take a little care and as CassieFrance says just take some fins for snorkelling and try to avoid stepping on any live corals.

The food at CPDK was excellent. We went B&B so only had breakfast in the main restaurant. Excellent variety and quality though and I heard nothing but the same for evenings.

As you mention drinks are a little on the pricey side, in fact this was my only gripe with the island. From memory large beer was around $6 and a bottle of house wine around $28. Cocktails were around $12 (remember there is 10% service charge on top of that too).

Didn't go near the gym so can't help with that one and can't help with the hair dryer but remember my wife using one (although this could have been her own!). I am sure though if there is not one in the room a quick call to reception will get one put in your room within a few minutes of you requesting one!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Your expert opinons please

As others have said you'll not need sea shoes. Water is available, free of charge in the gym. There is a small but adequate hairdryer in the dressing table drawer that is permanently plugged in.

We loved CPDK - it was our first stay in the Maldives. Drinks are pricey but in line with other Maldivian resorts - not only will there be the 10% service charge but also the new government tax of 3.5% that was introduced at the start of the year. Although you're on full board, do try the Cornus (Thai) restaurant - this was excellent. CPDK will give you a credit towards the cost of eating here.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your expert opinons please

The humidity is really high, so forget about keeping your hair beautifully straight, it is impossible... Just use some kind of product as foam or something like that to keep it better...

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your expert opinons please

Hi torjor,

Good choice fab island, ENJOY.

Suzanne.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your expert opinons please

Hi Torjor

Heading out to the Island around the 10th June and looking forward to itand really hoping we have made a wise choice. I did read somewhere that there is a hair dryer available on request...but we are taking one just to be on the safe side :O)

Have a lovely holiday and look forward to reading your review on here

Paddy

uk
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your expert opinons please

Hi torjor

We too are also looking at going to the Maldives for the first time, you have obvliosy done your research and like quality without he pomp, can you please tell me what resort is CPDK ?

Regards

Saffi

Edited: 8:44 pm, May 14, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your expert opinons please

Saffi, CPDK is Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu

uk
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your expert opinons please

Thankyou N8RJG

I shall now look into this resort, and others= and try to work out the best time of year to go.

Regards

Saffi

10. Re: Your expert opinons please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Baa Atoll