We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

Hi all,

Here's my problem:

We are recently back from the Hilton Maldives which was absolute paradise on earth.

Now is the time to start contemplating our vacation for next summer.

Problem is that compared to this last vacation all locations, resorts, hotels, etc, seem so inferior to Rangali... I think this time we set the bar too high!

We are thinking maybe Bora Bora (if budget permits) or Malaysia.

Any ideas for locations & resorts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Philip

U.K.
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

Bora Bora is an excellent choice though a long way away. Hotel Bora Bora is probably the top hotel on the island but we stayed on one of the motus (islets) at the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort & Spa and recommend it very highly :-

http://www.pearlresorts.com/bora/main.asp

On the same trip we stayed at it's sister hotel on Moorea and that was top notch too. French Polynesia has brilliant diving especially the shark dives and breathtaking scenery. It is very very expensive to eat or do anything and falls into the once in a lifetime category for me.

Almost as beautiful as Bora but more unspoilt and less well known is Aitutaki in the Cook Islands. Wonderful place, fabulous people, endless lagoon and much more reasonably priced. We stayed at the Pacific Resort Aitutaki :-

pacificresort.com/Aitutaki/…442_.html

Fiji is worth a look......only consider the outer islands, not Viti Levu. We went to Vomo.....best snorkelling ever. Look at the Yasawas maybe.

My final suggestion would be one of the Seychelles islands.....truly breathtaking. Lots of islands to choose from and much nicer than its neighbour Mauritius IMHO.

The Maldives takes some beating but these at least come very close.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

You could consider the Cuisinart Hotel, Anguilla in thr Carribean.

It is a fantastic island with some of the best beaches in the World. It is also unspoilt, minimal crime, no beach sellers or jet skis yet has more top restaurants and chefs than a place twice it's size. The people are lovely and it is still part of the Commonwealth.

The Cuisinart is a beautiful but peaceful hotel on one of the best beaches on the island.

Look it up in Trip Advisor.....I go there this Sunday on my 3rd visit.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

Wow! Thanks Padi for your swift & comprehesive answer!

I checked out the Cook Islands and they seem amazing! (I never knew they existed!)

35 hours travel time from greece, but who cares!

The hotel you stayed at (Pacific Resort Aitutaki) seems really cool also. There is another one (Etu Moana) which seems really nice @ about 1/2 the price. Have you seen it?

Also do you have an opinion about Pacific Resort Raratonga?

Thanks a lot!

Philip

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

Hi,

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Cook Islands and can highly recommend them. However, make sure you go in high season as it really does tip down in the rainy season and there's no where to escape too!!!

You'll have a great time and worth the flight.

Hope you enjoy it!

Kirsty

U.K.
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

You're welcome Philip. Etu Moana is just down the road from the Pacific Resort and is lovely. It comes highly recommended. We had a look around there.

We stayed at the Pacific Raratonga and were not impressed. It was tired and in need of upgrade. It's staff were mostly disinterested and our first room had the lovely aroma of stale urine permeating throughout. I am told that the villas there are a lot newer and much nicer than the rooms but personally I would not stay there again.

The Pacific Aitutaki however is up there in my top five hotels. It's a beautiful little boutique hotel and is perfectly situated with villas, suites and bungs right on the beach. One Foot island in the lagoon is a must see.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

Thanks again Padi.

Kirsty, when is the high season? We would be going in August probably. Is the weather really a big problem?

Thanks

Philip

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

We just stayed in Bora Bora for 3 weeks on our honeymoon. Bora Bora is beautiful with lots to do and excellent dining on the main island. DO NOT eat at your resort as the resturants on the island were absolutley top notch -

The pearl resort is probably the best value - DO NOT stay at the Bora Bora lagoon resort - very out dated.

Le Meriden is also very nice but much more expensive - there is also a Hyatt and Four Seasons being built - both are breath taking...

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

I stayed in Fiji for 3 weeks last September. We originally wanted to go to Bora Bora but it is very expensive there. Fiji is cheaper. As my Fiji mate Padi says, Yomo has the best snorkelling and the Yasawas is great. I took a cruise round the Yasawas Islands on a luxury cruiser (www.bluelagooncruises.com); the beaches there was absolutely breathtaking. Don't stay on the main island at least get out to the Mamanucas as a minimum. The weather is much improved than the rain on the main island. Don't consider going to Suva............ activegirl

cqt
Southern California
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

Hi, Philip,

Of the responses listed here, I have stayed at both Hotel Bora Bora and the Cuisinart Resort in Anguilla.

First off, Bora Bora is exactly as you described the Maldives. Hotel Bora Bora is probably the most exclusive resort there. We went there for our honeymoon - almost no kids and very few bungalows and villas. We were there at the same time as Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore so my husband went diving with them every day since the resort had a its own dive boat. The beach there is probably the best on the island with a reef just off the over-the-water bungalows for snorkeling. I thought that this was paradise on earth so I am considering the Maldives and the Hilton as our next vacation.

Anguilla was not paradise on earth. After a lot of research, I decided on this island in the Carribean because it was the most educated and had the lowest crime rate. What I found was that tourists were open game to be ripped off for everything. I really didn't appreciate the sentiment as much as I wanted to contribute to the local economy. We got into a situation where the Cuisinart Resort recommended a snorkeling outfit who was supposed to pick us up and back from the hotel - when we returned to the hotel, the taxi driver demanded payment for the trip. Instead of being on our side since the concierge who helped us wasn't there, I had to really have it out with the Cuisinart and told them to sort the taxi driver out. The thing that bugged us was that we didn't need to pay for the dive boat to go snorkeling - there was perfectly good snorkeling at the beach that we were taken to. That trip made me feel like a sucker - I felt that the hotel was in cahoots with the locals to rip us off. Here is my original review for the Cuisinart: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147238-d147…

I found that most people who went to the Cuisinart were Americans who probably hadn't travelled further than the Carribean so it was a real treat. And I feel that I can be fair in this assessment because I'm also an American. Believe me when I say that there are a lot better places to go where you get what you pay for (honestly) and where you aren't $$$-signs walking around. Despite all this, the service was so indifferent and sometimes, a bit arrogant.

Hotel Bora Bora and Bora Bora over the other one, any old day....

Missouri
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Problem: Where to, after Hilton Maldives?

Hi

Another wonderful destination is Hayman Island on Australia's Great Barrier Reef: www.hayman.com.au/

We were there a few years ago and fell in love with the place! It's a different kind of experience than the Maldives, but worth taking a look at! It's considered one of the "Leading Hotels of the World". We flew into Hamilton Island first, then took a charter over to Hayman.