We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money & Credit Cards

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Money & Credit Cards

Hi all,

As my long-anticipated trip to Maldives (Hilton) is becoming reality for this summer (yeah!), I will need some info and I would be grateful to anyone who can help (especially kanthony who has been so incredibly helpful to all):

- Money: Is it safe to have cash at the Hilton? Are the villas’ safes… safe?

- Credit Cards: What credit cards does the Hilton take? Is there any charge? Is everything charged in US$?

- Tipping: What tipping is considered correct at the restaurants? Is tipping expected also at other activities?

- Transfers: It seems my flight out of Male will be at 02:20am (Emirates 105 to Dubai). How do I get from Hilton to Male as there is no night transfer? What other options do I have?

Thanks a million,

Philip

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,044 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money & Credit Cards

we typically tip waiters , roomboy, dive-dhoni crew and barstaff of course , but also the gardeners and staff that makes your stay enjoyable, but doesn't come in direct contact , like kitchen staff , laundry etc will be grateful for a gratuity. .. oh.. and the poor dear that is stuck carrying out bags .. he definitely deserves it . lol

sussex. uk
Level Contributor
308 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money & Credit Cards

Hi CarpeDiem

I used the room safe for everything including money, passport, credit cards, ipod......and nothing went missing. I think you will feel very safe and secure on the island, so don't worry on that score.

I'm sure kanthony will confirm for you what cards are accepted but i think you can take it that most major ones are. Note they do not take charge cards (visa etc). You can give the hotel a card imprint at the start of your holiday and then charge absolutely everything back to your room, so there is no real need for cash.

Tipping at the restaurants can be made when signing the bill (there is a box for you to enter how much you wish to tip but this can only be done if they've taken an imprint of your card). Note that all bills have a 10% surchare automatically added so there is no need to feel you should add more........although we did just because we were very grateful of the service. The hotel says that all tips go back to the staff if you do it this way, some prefer to hand cash to the staff though.........we did a mixture of both to be honest.

We were on the same flight as you and left the hotel at around 4 pm which means you have several hours to wait in Male. One option to kill some time is to check into the Hulehule island hotel which is one minute away from the airport. There are restaurants and a swimming pool for you ro use. We did a quick tour of Male island and that passed some hours away.

You have a great stay......simply because you cannot fail too!

hope that helps

M

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money & Credit Cards

Philip.... Transfers will be by seaplane in daylight hours only so you would be leaving Hilton approx around 4pm-ish back to Male. Unfortunately, you have to hang around for your flight or book into the business class lounge.

You have a couple of options..... book a day room at Hulule Airport hotel and use their facilities... swimming pool, bar, restaurant, or just a snooze until 10pm where you are ferried back to the airport (only a few mins away). Or simply go over to Male and enjoy the capital. You can go to the fish market, fruit & veg market, go round the shops (but be prepared to be hassled to go into their shop but a polite firm "no" will suffice), visit the gold topped mosque (although you would not be allowed inside), Sultan Park etc. The fish market is great during late afternoon where the fishermen come in with their catch and display it for sale.

If you are not confident in doing this on your own, I am sure the Hilton will arrange for a guide to show you around Male, leave your luggage etc.

.......... activegirl

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money & Credit Cards

Hi Philip

Yes, the safe's are safe and we accept all major credit cards (but not debit cards): Visa, Amex, Diners, MasterCard, JCB.

You can tip cash if you like (bring small notes with you), around $5 to $10 depending (Americans may be shocked at how little this is, Brits shocked at how much!) is fine.

Consider tipping the bellboy who carries your luggage, the room attendant, waiting staff, bar staff, spa staff, your personal island host and anyone else you feel gave you good service.

Please note that the 10% service charge on the bills really does get shared evenly between all the team members here (I am aware that this isn't the case at all resorts but it does happen at the Hilton Maldives).

Regarding transfers, you'll get to Male around 1630 Male time. The resort can organise a room in Hulhule Airport hotel for you, alternatively you can leave your luggage at the airport and go over on the ferry to look around Male, or the resort can organise a dinner and city tour in Male for you.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money & Credit Cards

Thanks, kanthony, you are very helpful as usual.

We'll be there (hopefully) end July, maybe we could meet?

You helped my girlfriend and I decided to come to the Hilton with all the info you have posted.

Thanks again

Philip

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money & Credit Cards

No problem Philip, I'm always happy to meet fellow trip advisors over a cup of coffee sometime! Just ask for Katherine at reception. You'll also definitely see me at the Tuesday/Wednesday evening guest cocktails.

Hope you have a great holiday!

United kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money & Credit Cards

In reference to your query regarding charges for using Credit Crads. Most cards will charge you a 2-3% fee for oversea's transactions.

If you have time it is worth applying for a Nationwide Credit Card which is one of very few that does not charge you for this.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money & Credit Cards

kanthony,

I seem to be having some problems with my reservation.

Would it be OK if I could contact you by e-mail in order for you to advise me?

Thanks,

Philip

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money & Credit Cards

Hi Philip

I'm probably not the best person to contact because I don't deal with reservations, but send an email to the main address for my attention: maldives@hilton.com FAO: K Anthony.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
299 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money & Credit Cards

Hi kanthony,

Finally everything is OK, we are arriving on July 27th and our booking is for a water villa.

It would be very useful if you could let me know which are the best water villas (for example facing sunset, etc) so maybe I could ask the reservation department for a specific villa.

Thanks again

Philip