We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with Elderly Mother at Rangali from Dubai

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
26 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Travel with Elderly Mother at Rangali from Dubai

I have booked the Rangali for a January trip with my 78 year old mother. This is our first trip to Maldives for a special occasion.

I have learned so much from all of you through my research so far and for that I thank you. I do have a few questions still. If someone has answers I greatly appreciate it.

1. Are there older seniors among the guest population at Rangali or is it mostly a younger crowd?

2. How cumbersome is the seaplane transfer? Can an elderly person in good shape manage this? Is there enough help on and off the plane/boats?

3. The prices currently for January at Conrad are in the $2000 per night range depending on the room. Other people on this forum have discussed lower prices mostly for off season months. Is this a normal price for this hotel at that time or will there likely be discounts in coming months? I booked the room now far in advance because I was afraid they would be booked out for that time. Should I wait or is this hotel normally sold out in the January month?

4. We are flying out after spending 1 week in Dubai. Are there any direct flights with airlines other than Emirates? Currently that airline has a $1000 flight quoted which I think is quite high. Again, could be the season but any insight from you all who have been to Maldives would be great.

Thanks!!!!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with Elderly Mother at Rangali from Dubai

Hi

The seaplane transfer is fairly straightforward. There are a couple of small steps up into the plane but there is always a crew member on hand to help. At Rangali there is no boat transfer as the plane is able to taxi right up to the landing stage which is situated midway along the bridge that connects the two islands.

As far as flights are concerned I think only Emirates will fly from Dubai to Male. This would explain the high price for tickets.

OD

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,925 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with Elderly Mother at Rangali from Dubai

you'll have plenty of help on the seaplane .. if your mom is in good health. it is a bit hot on the seaplane but its a reasonably short flight.

as far as the guests .. there is no way to predict what age groups will be represented when you travel .. i have always seen a very wide range of ages.. from young honeymooners to retired travelers.

january is high season in the maldives . there will be no discounts for that time. as a matter of fact, you are a little late to book for that time and might want to lock in your desired room category while you still have a choice.

3. Re: Travel with Elderly Mother at Rangali from Dubai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 pm, June 22, 2013