We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Hilton Maldives practice more unethical behaviour than...

Hong Kong
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Does Hilton Maldives practice more unethical behaviour than...

Hi there,

I am considering to stay at the Hilton Maldives or Cocoa Island for my honeymoon in June. In my research, I came across claims that the new renovations/additions that the Hilton Maldives did were rather unethical (such as ripping up trees and taking sand from Mandhoo Island) and also there were claims they bullied the locals from a neighbouring island who complained about Hilton, stopping tourism revenue flow to them. Does anyone know more about this and can comment? Hilton Maldives looks really beautiful but I may consider other places if they are as unethical as the following website makes it to be. Or do most of the resorts engage in similar practices for profit? Here is the weblink: maldivesculture.com/tourism_resorts/hilton_r…

Thanks!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Does Hilton Maldives practice more unethical behaviour than...

Hilton responded in detail in the link to the Press Release .. giving their explanation regarding the palm trees etc. I fail to see why you twist that Hilton fail to "deny" that trees were taken etc, the explanation gives a different story which you should accept in the impartial way that the story was received. What I fail to understand how do YOU know the truth ... could you not accept the Hilton's official explanation? If you went in with an open mind - and it appears you have never visited both islands - then how can you arrive at these assumptions? That is all they are, assumptions! However, if you are political (which appears to be the case) then it's a totally different angle on the post and ceases to be a travel related topic.

You say that you only replied to the original poster, then why create a bew post "Hilton lie over destruction of island vegetation"? You're clearly lying. "merely updating the situation"? .. rubbish! you are in fact updating nothing but raking up old ground.

I'm well aware of the political situation on the Maldives and I have my own views but this is certainly not the place here to discuss on a travel forum ....

activegirl

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Does Hilton Maldives practice more unethical behaviour than...

Well said active...