We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Male for a night

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Male for a night

We are arriving in Male at 21:55 on the Singapore flight, so unfortunately we won't be able to get the seaplane out until the following morning. I think I saw a post here that advised that the airport hotel wasn't that great. Would really appreciate any advice on a good hotel in Male for the night. Thanks

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Male for a night

The airport is on a island, 10 mins boat trip from Male itself so you are best to stay at Hulule airport hotel. The hotel is better at the airport than the Male itself. Hulule Aiport Hotel is nice for an overnight stay, food is great. ... activegirl

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Male for a night

We arrived on the Singapore flight also & stayed at the Airport Hulule Hotel. It's not fantastic but it's not bad either. I doubt you'll be there that long as seaplane transfers start at dawn (we were only there 6 hours - just long enough to check in, have a shower & get your head down for a few hours). The rooms are clean & functional - you get a kettle & mini bar so you can have a beer if you wish. I would say they are on a par with Travelodge or something like that. Activegirl is right about the food - we had room service chicken satay with nasi goreng & it was very good!

BTW - Singapore Airlines are fantastic! They get my vote over Emirates.

Level Contributor
603 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Male for a night

If stopping at the airport hotel for a while what currency do you require for both meals and tips? Many thanks.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Male for a night

As with anywhere in The Maldives, the US$ is the main currency although they will accept Euro's, GB£ & probably Japanese Yen & Singapore$ too.

Level Contributor
603 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Male for a night

Many thanks Rex-Diver. As I was hoping.

Level Contributor
603 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Male for a night

Many thanks Rex-Diver. As I was hoping.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Male for a night

Forgot to add -

Best to pay on your credit card as any hotel will only give you their front desk conversion rate when paying cash & it's always below the bank rate. Pay credit card & you'll get the bank rate when it goes through

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Male for a night

Thanks all for the advice, the Hulule looks like a good bet so we're heading there. Checked the transfer times and we'll only have a few hours there so as long as the bar is good it will do nicely! Again, thanks for the help.

Israel
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Male for a night

Just back ..we stayed at the hotel at the airport actally on the way out. Probably your best bet as it is just 2 minutes from the airport. Its not 5 star and dont expect the same leve as a resort. But it is an ok place to puut your head on a pilow for a few hours.