We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

silly question I know but..

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
silly question I know but..

...how warm is the sea in the Maldives? I ask because we went to Mauritius last year and though the beaches were beautiful, the sea was freezing! (we went in November).

Thanks

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: silly question I know but..

Hi,

We have just had our third visit to the Maldives, that too in November, and we find it fine. The sea temp has been likened to being in a warm bath - and that is kind of true. The water is cold when you first enter, as it would be when you have been baking in 90 degree heat, but then it soon feels warm. We spent considerable time in the ocean before feeling chilly!

Regards, Lisa.

Reading
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: silly question I know but..

Hi there SmokeyBear

as far as i can remember the sea temp in Meedhuparu last year (march... ish) was about 30 and stayed about the same day and night - I even went swimming at midnight in moonlight on a few occasions - until I realised how close to the beach the sting rays come!!!

There is somewhere on the web that gives you sea temps

here is one:

weather2travel.com/destinations/…

I'm sure there was a better site but havent been able to find it - will keep looking tho

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: silly question I know but..

Smokin!!!

Sea very warm. Because all the Islands are surrounded by shallow waters the sea stays very warm akin to getting into a bath. If you go into deep water it is cooler but warm enough to comfortably snorkle in! Alot warmer than Mauritius. The maldives has a constant temp ALL year round, so the sea temp is the same give or take a degree or two. During rain the temp does fall but only briefly!!

Mark

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: silly question I know but..

Smokey

I spend a lot of time diving in the Maldives and according to my trusty Suunto Vyper computer the water temp is usually 28-29C

Simon

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: silly question I know but..

Hi SmokeyBear1

The sea water temperature in the Maldives doesn't really get colder than 26 degrees (and that's diving - it'll be warmer on the surface for swimmers and snorklers) year round.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: silly question I know but..

Fantastic - thanks for all the replies - that has helped me make up my mind. Loved Mauritius but was slightly disappointed that the sea was really cold so nice to hear this is not the case in the Maldives!

Get answers to your questions about Rangali Island