We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any information greatly appreciated

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Any information greatly appreciated

Hi folks.

My wife & I have finally booked to go to the Maldives Hilton in Mid Feb 2006 after much deliberation, research & emailing. Looking at the various posts, etc. it seems that we have made an excellent choice. We looked at White Sands, Paradise Isldand, Taj Exotica, Four Seasons & Kanahura but we always kept going back to the Hilton page in the brochure. For reference, I tried to book direct but got no discount whatsoever & with the price of the flights I just couldn't get near what the Travel Agent was offering with discount. So I booked in the "old fashioned" way. BTW - it was Thomas Cook Signature - excellent service & private transfers all round. Just need to wait & see if it lives up to its promise.

I've always wanted to go to the Maldives for the diving & chillin' out but Mrs D didn't think much of laying around with nothing to do for two weeks. So a compromise was reached; 2 nights at the Hilton in Dubai, followed by 3 nights at the Shangri La, Singapore, followed by the Maldives (got to do 1 night at the airport though....bummer!). We will be there for 9 nights in a water bungalow & while I've managed to find a great deal of information, the little things are harder to find, like how much are the drinks, spa treatments, meals (other than what you get on half board), excursions, etc. Therefore, any information posted would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly interested in the above & also are there any wreck dives to be had in the Maldives? What is the chance of seeing a Whale Shark in Feb / Mar? Is the wireless internet access free? (I have my own PCMCIA adapter). I have my own dive equipment but are there facilities to rinse & store it at the dive shack?

We're both excited & can't wait so any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Hi,

I have the current menus and price lists for the Hilton Maldives if you would like them. Either post your email address on here or mail me at lisa.melbourne@ntlworld.com. Can't help you with owt else though, sorry!

Regards, Lisa.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Hi Lisa

As I said, any info greatly appreciated. My e-mail is davenport_simon@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Simon

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Hi Rex.

My partner & me too are going to maldives in June 2006 though. We liked the hlton maldives as well BUT the images that you see on the website are of the rooms which are top of the range. However, when you actually book the water villa - its good but not that great. Maybe its too personal if i ask you what price are you paying for that - maybe in the same price you can you can get a lagoon villa with a plunge pool for that price.

If you dont mind please let me know what price have they quoted @ rakhee.dutia@radissonsas.com. For a water villa they quoted me US$ 400 BB plus tax of course on double occupancyper night.

Hope that helps.

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Hi There. I spent a fortnight at the Hilton when it first re-opened back in June this year. I was priveledged to be the first guest to saty in one of the deluxe beach villas and have to say that having looked at all the room categories, these were the best and newest on offer.

Alot of the overwater bungalows are very overlooked by one another and when I was there, heard many stories of people moving rooms for privacy reasons.

It appears you have been sent all the current menus which will give you an idea on food prices. Drinks are expensive as well I'm afraid. The cheapest bottle of wine was around £25/£28 but do not be fooled into buying wine by the glass as the measures are tiny and are charged at abount £7/£7 per glass. A bottle of beer is around £4 as are measues of spirits. Cocktails were quite reasonable at about £5/£6. Water is charged at arounf £4/£4.50 per bottle but you get a bottle each day in your room for the cappuccinio maker and we just took extra supplies from the breakfast buffet.

Spa treatments, like everything else, were expensive. They ranged from aroun £50 up to the skies the limit. A simple massage was £50/£60 but the facilities and ambience were amazing.

If you did book H/B then you are restricted to eating in the 2 buffet restaurants, which although very good, do become repetitive. The H/B supplement only qualifies you for a 25% discount at the other restaurants. Ithaa is an incredible experience but toptally overpriced at 200 Dollars plus service. The food isn't the best either but a once in a lifetime expperience.

I have also told everybody to eat at the Mandhoo Spa, by far and a way the best food and best value on the island. Many people think iot is reserved for the Mandhoo Spa Villa guests only, but this was not the case when we visited. We ate there 5/6 times and there were only2 or 3 other guests there at the time so it was very romantic.

There aren't many excursions on offer - the odd trip to neighbouring islands, snorkelling trips, fishing trips etc but we did not bother other than a glass bottom boat ride (quite a spectacular one at that for our 4 year old!).

We are not divers either but got friendly with a couple who were there purely for the diving and they said that the di=ve centre was the best equipped and set up that they had ever visited.

Not sure either about the wireless internet access but there are computers with free internet access in the tv room on the new island. We used it on several ocassions.

I am sure the hotel will be able to answer any more specific queries you may have and I have found moli.rajeev@hilton.com very helpful in answering any queries we had.

It is an incredible resort and you will not be disappointed. Have a great time.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Thanks for that Baz, that's a great help. Forearmed is forewarned. Sounds like you had a great time there. I'll bear the privacy issue in mind with the water bungalows, I may email them & express concerns.

Neel - I was quoted $650 per night for double occupancy but I think June is cheaper than Feb.

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Hi Rex

All the Maldive island has a PADI dive school with space to rinse and store your dive kit .. i would imagine the Hilton's would be pretty good .. i think the Ari Atoll has some of the best diving i have done in the Maldives and i have seen 2 whalesharks on dives .. you may be lucky .. hope so !!

Paste this link and you can gen up on some of the dives sites in the Atoll

www.maldivecruise.com/index.php…

Simon

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Hi Rex,

Found a great deal with a UK based travel agent on taj exotica -you might want to contact them and see what they are offering - in case it cheaper, you can always ask thomas cook to match that price or beat it for that matter.

Ian Marley.

ddi 0207 326 7519

fax 0207 924 0662

ian@qholidays.co.uk

www.qholidays.co.uk

I personally found Ian very helpful..

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Scooby - nice 1. Just the sort of info I'm after. What time of year did you go?

Neel - Already booked & deposit paid. I got a good deal with a load of discount so I'm happy. Bear in mind the destinations before the Maldives.

Any more diving info would be a great help.

Cheers

Simon

Wales
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Hi Baz and everyone!

I read on a HIlton review that the happy hour in the bar (5-6) is just for water villa guests, is this right?

thanks!

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any information greatly appreciated

Rex

Whaleshark season in the Ari Atol generally starts Nov which is when i saw mine .. i am pretty sure it runs into Feb/Mar

Simon

Get answers to your questions about Rangali Island