We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

I have been flooding the forum (I apologise!) over the past 2 days with questions as my family tries to choose which resort to stay. Planning holidays shouldn't be this stressful :-)

The kids and I had narrowed our choice down to Vilamendhoo or Kuramathi as we love snorkelling.

My husband has just thrown a spanner in the works as he has read about LUX (he says nicer villas, nicer beach??) - I am less keen as apparently the snorkelling is not so good.

He has suggested transferring between resorts mid-trip - I see that LUX and Vilamendhoo are in the South Ari Atoll - is it possible to arrange (reasonably affordable) transfers?

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
984 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Yes it is, we have done this the last two times we have been just contact your travel agent and they will arrange it for you, if you have booked yourself then contact the resort.

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

I am yet to book and will be arranging it ourselves if I can - did you transfer via sea plane or speed boat? Was it very expensive (or similar in price to airport transfers)?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Not so good snorkelling = zero snorkelling at lux. ( unless you go on organised boat trips). Been on numerous such boat trips and with one exception they are routinely disappointing; normally to a reef in deep water so not a house reef; at unappealing times of day; too short a stay in the water; on packed boats with people who are pretty clueless about what to do in the water etc etc. you can't beat/ match the experience of just wandering from your villa into the water to be over the drop off in less than 5 mins. That's if you are keen snorkellers . Boat trips for occasional snorkellers might be fine but I would never go to any island without a pretty good house reef, even to islands with ice cream hidden in the bushes lol

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Lux to Vila should be do able via speedboat . Either of the resorts will be able to arrange it

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Ok Paul you've convinced me (although my husband really likes ice-cream!) - we definitely want loads of fish to swim with and some nice reef, so I will stick with my plan A, trying to decide between my top 2.......stay tuned (This Adults Only beach signage has really thrown me with Vilamendhoo) :-)

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
984 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Hi,

We have done both, if its in the same atoll the island will take you by speed boat, don't think it was expensive and when hubby's back i will ask him and let you know.

MA.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Once you get settled into Maldives "chilling" mode....zzzzzzz........then you might find that you can't be bothered to pack up, check out, wait for transfers, check in, unpack etc etc. And you could miss out on half a day at least of quality holiday time.

How long are you going for? As you may also miss out on some excursions (due to the weekly schedules and availability due to bookings/weather) if you aren't on an island long enough.

Maybe not a deal breaker but some things to consider.

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Yes I think I just "want it all!" but I agree - with 4 older kids, packing up for the 6 of us not fun to do twice! LUX looks really gorgeous with stunning beaches, but it's a deal-breaker for the kids and I with no good reef.

We are only planning 7 nights there so you're right, we would be rushing to "do everything" at both spots if we split our time - and I REALLY need a lot of chill time! (How long is it til December??!!)

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
984 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Totally agree with you!, i would only consider splitting a stay between islands if i was going for 2 weeks or more.

MA.

Jersey
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dividing time between 2 islands possible?

Two islands is fine if you're staying for around two weeks. If not, stick to one. I'm going to vilamendhoo next time, as the reef is in shallow water, plus I want to swim with whale sharks.

The boat trips I've been on have been amazing.

I've done a sunset cruise and saw lots and lots of dolphins whilst here in Kuredu. ( which I love, but this is our third visit and we fancy giving another island a go) I did a full day trip which was superb. There were only 6 of us and it wasn't a private trip. We saw amazing reefs and stunning fish etc. Then I did a speed boat trip and snorkeled with 6 huge manta, then went to a reef at Komando. The house reef there was stunning. There were only 9 of us, so the manta just swam beneath us all and we weren't at all crowded.

I guess some are better for snorkelling than others. This morning I Snorkelled off the beach and in two minutes I saw 3 green sea turtles, a huge sting ray plus loads of other fish.

Good luck and enjoy

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll