We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fish to avoid

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
fish to avoid

hi, just been doing abit of research on the forum about the different types of fish and came across one sayin which fish can be dangerous such as the titan trigger fish, stone fish etc. would i come across these just in the shallow areas of the sea? we probably wont be going diving or anything as we arent strong swimmers. i am a wimp haha!

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fish to avoid

Definitely avoid Titan trigger :) i always give them a wide berth, had one try to attack me every day when i was staying at the Residence! must of been its territory, and stone fish i very nearly stood on one in the lagoon at RC so yes they could be anywhere.

MA.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fish to avoid

Don't worry too much, I have seen plenty of Titan triggerfish that are docile, it's only when they are being protective over their eggs I believe, just keep an eye on them. Someone told me that if a Titan has other fish near it then it's usually safe. If it's on it's own and hanging around the same area then swim away.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fish to avoid

Take some dive booties/ aqua shoes, as yes, although rare you could see a stone fish in the lagoon. Also little rays can bury them selves under the sand bed. Titans will leave you alone if you leave them alone and keep your distance.

Don't worry, just remember it's their world and you are a visitor, so just make sure to not bother anything. The further in at the lagoon the less likelyhood you have of seeing anything ( literally) but some fish do float in.

Jersey
Level Contributor
173 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fish to avoid

Titan trigger can become aggressive when they are nesting. ( usually April) They are just being a protective parent. Keep away from them. If you swim into their funnel shape territory just swim horizontally and out of their territory. I had one come at me three times yesterday. I only noticed it the third time and I put my fins towards it and swam off. Pity as I was enjoying watching a huge green sea turtle at the time!

5. Re: fish to avoid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 21, 2015