We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

Today I am one week from my trip to Maafushivaru I am very excited but worried too. I have planned so long I just really hope it all comes together. I got a very nice mask and goggles from hubby for Xmas still am hopeless at using it but have been assured once i get to the place I will get confident. I also have bought a Olympus TG2 camera hope it will go great just a bit worried it may not be so good above water but tough for that I am not lugging my DSLR sick of getting a sore shoulder and i have never learned how to get the best out of it anyway.

I think the thing that worries me the most is the comments on the food some love it and others find it repetitive I am hoping for the sooner not the later. I am also somewhat disappointed that beer is not included in the mini bar on all inclusive I think that is kind of mean really especially with what they charge per day.

I have sent a request for a room near the overwater villas on the beach and at the end of the overwater villas for when we move to one of them haven't heard back from them ho hum. I sent the same message to our hotel in Singapore and they have been very attentive. I suppose its because in the Maldives they have a captive audience if you don't like what you get its a long swim back to Male or another island LOL.

Well I look forward to posting my review of the island on my return I hope it is all I dreamt of and more god do I hope that's true. This holiday is $13000 all up with Singapore a new car in Australia. Thank you to those who gave me advise when I was researching it was very helpful.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

Enjoy your trip!

Only 1 correction ..... Your post heading says "trip of a lifetime" .... I think it's going to read "first of a trip of lifetime" ............ You are going to be returning as you will have caught Maldivitis!!!

...AG

UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

That's true!

We went for a special "one off" birthday.

We go back in just over 3 wks which will be the 9th time since the special "one off".

4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

I am also looking forward to my holiday in exactly 59 days (countdown app on phone). Heading to centara grand with hubby to celebrate his birthday whilst we are there and our 30th wedding anniversary in May, oh and my 50th birthday in July so lots to celebrate, just a little bit apprehensive about the resort having a lot of children there. I love children and work in a primary school but just hope there won't be too many there, it will be Easter hols then too. We are booked into a beach villa and have read some comments for and against the island club. Not sure how much that would cost but quite like the idea of more privacy. Any suggestions.

Have a fab time and remember to post some photos if poss:)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

Well packed my bags today did online checkin with Singapore Airlines don't actually get to Male until Sunday morning but definitely in the Zone. I have also upgraded my booking for my stopover in Singapore on the way back so it will be first class all the way. Well the hotels at least the day I can afford first class plane travel will be the day after I win the lottery. So that's not likely but one can live in hope. BTW that will be for my next Maldives trip and I would probably do one of those ooh la la hotels aaah the dream.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

Just read your review Jules...so glad you enjoyed Maaf...and I see you seem to have caught Maldivitis!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

Hi jukes.... glad you had such a great time and lucky you getting a complimentary upgrade to the pool villa.... They are magical . I would agree about the WVs at maaf - a bit pokey and for me, not worth paying to upgrade to but still nice to experience both types of villa for your first time . Now you just need to work out which island for your next visit!

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

Hi Jules..glad Maaf lived up to expectations for you, it remains our favourite so far.

Great news about Ibrahim as he was our house keeper..a truly great guy just like all the staff. I remember him waiting days for a seaplane seat to get his tooth sorted in Male and worked right through his discomfort. I hope his operation on his eye goes well, such a kind gesture from a guest.

Get saving for your next trip!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

Boy oh boy you ain't kiddin got so it bad the Maldivitis. Loved the holiday still on a high finished in Singapore and had a wow of a time there also so it just couldn't have been better. Well it could have been just a bit better, the red meat was like steel and the reef itself is kinda dead in many places so not much colour but having said that for a first visit it was paradise. I ofcourse got one of my biggest wishes and saw a whale shark and I really didn't think that would happen. So I was truly delighted so was my husband it was much better then he thought it would be I think he had been overcome by the costs but even he is saying it was worth it. I have already started trawling the web for something else but must convince hubby wish me luck.

Now I have mastered snorkeling and very proud of myself if I may say so I need to do more and without the worry of man eating sharks etc so Maldives is still looking like the place for me. Thanks again for all your help it was very helpful. Your all great people to do that for newbie people who have no experience as it is a big place with a wide selection I truly needed your helping hands.

19. Re: Well my trip of a lifetime is almost here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 26, 2015