We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female to Maldives

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Female to Maldives

Hello,

I will have some free time in November and want to go on a beach holiday. All of my girlfriends are working and because it is a spur of a moment trip - I will be going by myself.

Could you please help me decide on an island? Somewhere where there will be not only couples on honeymoon but also young groups or other solos to socialize. At the moment I am thinking somewhere on Mufushi, South ari atoll. Is it a good idea? Are there any expats that live locally to maybe get in touch before I arrive?

Also would you recommend island hopping? I want red to visit 2 or 3?

Thank you so much in advance for any information

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,919 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

moofushi is a great first island . nobody can tell you about the guest structure at the time of your visit but there is a good chance that you will meet almost exclusively couples , maybe the odd family .

young groups .. you would have to be extraordinarily lucky .

solos are more likely at resorts that cater strongly to divers . I have gone alone and would never hesitate to do so again to any resort . however , as a diver , I rather automatically end up meeting lots of people.

bandos is a lively place with families and airline crews overnighting , etc .. but its several classes below moofushi .

island hopping is very very pricey and time consuming . you have to pack/unpack , might have to take the seaplane to male and fly back out ..

england
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

Why not try Yasawa Princess if you want some sort of social group?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

From the sound of the post I think the OP is thinking of the islands being rather large with multiple resorts and local housing.

That's not what the Maldives is, it's literally one resort/hotel on an island with no locals living there (they live on separate islands).

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

How about ...

Kuredu

Kuramathi

Vilamendhoo

All large island with multiple bars and restaurants

Vilamendhoo is in the SAA ,you can do some nice trips from all of the above

Good luck

Darryl

Edited: 12:33 pm, October 12, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

I may go against the grain but to be honest I would go elsewhere and put the Maldives on hold. You could be lucky and then again could end up being around lots of loved up people on your own feeling lonely.

The boat cruise is a fair suggestion but not sure if you would be hit with a single supplment.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

I've been to several islands and always seen some solo travellers. In fact next year I'm going to reethi beach for 3 weeks and spending the first week alone before my friend arrives.

Spammies right, if you do some diving you will meet people. There are nearly always some divers travelling alone, and the dive staff tend to hang out in the bar in the eve so you will see a friendly face and probably won't have to sit by yourself. (Not sure if that's on every island, but certainly the case on reethi and velidhu)

I say just go, don't let travelling solo deny you of the beauty of the maldives, it's for anyone!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

The resorts islands are also really safe. And private - so no hassles from beach sellers etc. The perfect place to chill out alone or as a couple.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

Thank you very much everyone for your answers!

HunnyBeaBeas a special thank you to you for the extra motivation, I am definitely going :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

As others have alluded to, it will be more difficult to find people to chat to in the Maldives. Not impossible, but certainly not as easy as normal travelling around Thailand etc. You will chat to people, but they might be other couples, or people 20 years older, or dive staff etc, so it depends if you'll be be content speaking with anyone or you specifically want people of a similar age etc, which might be harder

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Female to Maldives

You're very welcome. Enjoy, and do let us know how you get on.

Make sure you take plenty of reading material. If you ever have moments at dinner or in the bar when you are by yourself, you can at least keep yourself occupied with a book!

Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll