We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaplane to Angaga

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seaplane to Angaga

Hello,

I will be on my first trip to Maldives next month (with my wife). As we will land in the Hulhumale Airport at around 7.30pm local time, we have decided to spend the night at Male city (main island - House Clover Hotel), and then to move to Angaga Island Resort the next day (booked already through Agoda). I understand from the resort's website that it requires a 20-min seaplane trip to reach the place. I have written to the resort on my following questions. But, I am yet to get a response from them.

1> Should I ferry back to hulhumale from Male city (main island) to take the seaplane? Is that not possible from the main island itself?

2> Do they have a scheduled time for the seaplane operation to Angaga?

3> How much does it cost for 2 persons for an one-way trip to Angaga??

4> I have opted for a 'half board' option (I assume that it has only the breakfast). Does anyone has the price list of lunch or dinner buffets (I assume most of the resorts have buffet system. Please correct me if I am wrong)?? How much does it cost for 2 persons per day (approximate for lunch and dinner)??

Thank you very much for all your time and efforts in answering them.

Best Regards,

Habeeb

Mentioned in this post
Hulhumale
Hulhumale
109 Reviews
Kaafu Atoll
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
House Clover
House Clover
104 Reviews
Male
Angaga Island Resort & Spa
Angaga Island Resort...
486 Reviews
Angaga Island
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

fumo

You need to confirm your international flight details with Angaga. They will then advise TMA (Trans Maldivian Airlines) who will then make up their itinerery from all the resorts' requirements. All you will need to do, apart from following any instructions Angaga give you, is to present yourselves at TMA's desk outside arrivals. Your flight will be charged to your hotel bill.

As khalawany says the cost is $365 which doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me - regardless of that its the only way you will be able to reach your resort.

And bear in mind the seaplane luggage allowance is 20kg plus 5kg hand luggage - any excess may incur a small charge of $2 - $4 per kg (sorry cannot remember which seaplane airline charges which).

Have a great holiday!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

It sounds like the guests on this thread are not getting responses from Angaga.

How are the other guests on this thread arranging the seaplane transfer?

Thanks.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

just phone them if you don't want to wait for a return email

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

DarthAnonymous

It isn't possible to arrange your own transfer - these are arranged by the resort on receipt of your arrival/departure information. The islands notify their guest requirements to one of the two seaplane companies who then draw up their itinerary. As long as the island knows your details (either through your agent or yourself) than all you normally have to do is arrive at Male airport and make your way to the agents/island desk. From there you will be directed to the seaplane desk. If transfer to your chosen resort is by speedboat this will be arranged by the island, again the resort needs to know your flight times in order to have their boat there to pick you up - you jusr go to the appropriate desk in arrivals.

It looks chaotic to a first time visitor but it runs like a well oiled machine!

London
Level Contributor
750 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

What are the differences between seaplane and internal flight? I'm assuming its schedule wise? Is there any advantage n paying the extra 100£?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

Nuno - the main difference is that seaplanes land on the sea and internal flights need some hard concrete to set down on!!! The only island that regularly crops up as an option for the two is Reethi beach with the newly opened airport up there. Not heard of the likes of Angaga, Maafushivaru, Mirihi etc giving the option of flight to Villa airport then speedboat ride to the island - doesnt make sense for such a short seaplane journey). But taking the distance into account, seaplanes are way more expensive than internal flights. People quote the likes of $300-$400 for a 25 min return flight to Angaga barely 100 km from Male. Yet a 400 km flight to Kooddoo or Kaadedhdhoo AND then a 25 or 40 min speedboat ride to PHH (airport dependant) is only $495 (less than half that if you are a local)

Mentioned in this post
Maafushivaru
Maafushivaru
827 Reviews
Southern Ari Atoll
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,066 Reviews
Mirihi
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
London
Level Contributor
750 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

yes I know that :) the thing is that for angaga you do have the option for either a seaplane or domestic flight and I wanted to understand the difference that both of these options entail..

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

right - i didnt know angaga offered both. Must be swings and roundabouts. Cos after that internal flight you are gonna have to disemabrk then get to a boat for a further 30 mind boat trip. Surely all things being equal, a seaplane will get you there quicker unless you are very unlucky.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

Sooth Ari does offer the domestic transfer so you can still get there after the seaplanes stop flying at dark.

20. Re: Seaplane to Angaga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Southern Ari Atoll