We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring?...

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
What to bring?...

I have heard I should bring a UK outlet convertor so that I am able to use my American digital camera charger - does anyone know what kind of electricity they have here? Or what the outlets look like?

Also is there a place to rent a snorkle mask and fins or is that something I should bring along? We are trying to minimize our luggage.

I have an underwater housing unit for my digital camera that goes 9 feet deep - is this enough to capture fish etc.?

We are going in early Jan. if there is an additional info you would like to pass on please respond! Any help is greatly appreciated and we look forward to posting more photos and review upon our return!

United States
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to bring?...

You didn't indicate what resort you are going to so I will answer your questions based on places that I have gone.

The places that I have been to have UK type plugs (3 prong 220V) with the standard European Two Prong 220V adapters plugged into them (like the ones you use in Germany). So if your charger works on 220V in Germany it will work fine in the Maldives (I'm assuming the transformer for your charger works on 110-240 VAC).

Yes everyplace that I have been has dive centers that rent snorkle mask and fins. I would suggest that you purchase your own mask at the very least in order to make sure that you have a good fit without leakage.

If you just intend to snorkle 9 feet should be adequate for taking photos of fish and coral on the house reef. Obviously that isn't going to work for scuba diving.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to bring?...

Thank you for answer!

We are going to be going to Veligandu. I think I will need to order a US adapter since my digital camera is from the states.

I will be shopping for mask here in Munich this week. Thank so much!

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to bring?...

Hi there

Just to confirm I agree with the other response, but if you are shopping for a mask maybe you might want to get your own fins too? The first time I went to the Maldives I did not have my own and used the ones on hire from the resort. They were very thin and had been bent by the currents - currents can get very strong out there. They were therefore not very effective. Since then I have bought my own - I have full foot ones that I bought from a dive centre. Yes, they cost more than the basic ones that you see in resorts, but I feel much more able to fin against the currents. For me it is a safety issue, but I guess that depends on how comfortable you are about the water.

United States
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to bring?...

Ok now I am confused? Are you actually living in Germany?

Don't you use the camera charging unit in Germany? If you mean that the plug is a 2 or 3 prong american plug then I assume you have it pluged into a plug adaptor for German 220VAC (Again I assume that this charger works on any voltage between 110 to 240 VAC) So if you have an adaptor to plug it into a German outlet then it should work in the Maldives???

Sorry guess I'm just a bit slow on this one.

The comment above about the fins might be true for some places. The resorts I have gone to had pretty decent fins. Problem with taking your own fins along is they take up so much room in a bag. We have dive equipment so we already have extra dive luggage but if you are just taking suitcases...

Also you might think about a snorkel if you are hung up about someone else having used the snorkel before.

Modena, Italy
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to bring?...

Veligandu do charge for rental of snorkle equipment (including fins). From memory it's a few dollars per day. We took our own gear but hardly any clothes and managed to get everything in hand luggage!

Our underwater pics came out okay with a bais throw away underwater camera and therefore, the one you have which is better than that sounds fine.

We highly recommend the spa at veligandu if you fancy that type of thing.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
11 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to bring?...

Thanks for the updates and additional information everyone!

Yes --I live in Germany, however I have an American digital camera so I am using a convertor. I had my sister bring me a UK convertor if this is what is typically used in the Maldives - I am trying to refrain from plugging one convertor into another one.

I have additional batteries that I will bring charged, however I know that we will be taking plenty of photos with all of the beautiful scenery, the ability to take my camera underwater, and for me to make video with my camera.

We will be purchasing our masks and fins this weekend. Unreal that we will be there in only a couple more weeks!

7. Re: What to bring?...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, August 18, 2009