We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

Kendal, Cumbria
6 posts
Save Topic
Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

we are thinking of going to maaya sometime next year, was wondering if anyone can advise as to what time of year is best, preferably no rain!!!! also can you do any watersports on the island other than diving..?? do you know if you can do a bit of daily island hopping also...?

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

The Maldives are tropical ...Thats why its warm and green.

There are not times of the year where somebody can guarantee you there won't be rain.

Go to this link and click on the "Climate" tab at the top of the screen. You will see a chart that shows averages for rainfall and hours of sun per day (ie times where the sun is shining not how many daylight hours there are). As you will see the best times statistically are probably late January through early April.

http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

Here are couple more links for you to look at.

bilder.malediven.net/Maayafushi/index.htm

this link will show you some pictures of the island. Just click on the first thumbnail photo and then click on each picture to advance to the next one.

http://www.maldives.at/maayafushi.html

is another German Language site but some things are in english. There is a link to several nice photos an interactive view of the island and a nice island map.

Kendal, Cumbria
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

Brilliant - thanks very much for that!!

do you know if you can do island hopping from this island as a day excursion and if it offers any watersports such as surfing, windsurfing etc....?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
110 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

Julie,

I have been to Maaya a few times and run a maaya site. If you wanna drop me a line I can give you the low down.

Look forward to hearing from you?

Martin.

www.maayafushi.co.uk

Kendal, Cumbria
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

hi thanks for your message, we are wanting to go probably around march time i think but want to see some of the other islands aswel - i know from the larger islands you can do organised excursions to a see a couple of others i was wondering if this was possbile from maaya...!? also we quite fancy taking part in some kinda watersports eg. surfing or boarding do they run anything like this.....!?!

i dont ask for much do i....!?!?!

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

Hi sword

Thats a good site you have started there i am impressed, what travel agent do you use, what rooms do you reccomend we like a breeze so if there is a windy side that would suit us, the inner villas look beautifull but i like to be as close to the sea as poss and feel the sand between my toes, is the diving good and suitable for novices?

regards susie

PS Julie you wont get surf there, the only two islands that i know of with surf is Huduranfushi and Dhonveli

Cheshire
Level Contributor
110 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

Susie,

Many thanks for your kind words ref the site. If anybody would like more complete answers and maybe some pics then they are quite welcome to drop me an email, details on the maaya site.

There are only a couple of travel agents that I know to that offer this island. They are Thomas Cook and Thomson, both offer a similar type of package, I have booked with them both in the past and they are very much the same.

There is a windy site and this is the North West of the island, if you have Google Earth you will get a good idea of where this is. If you havnt got Google Earth then I recommend getting yer mits on it, its free from Google and allows you to navigate around the world and zoom right into places, there is a bookmark for Maayafushi on the site that works with it.

Diving is excellent, they do run a novice course and Im led to believe that Maayafushi has some of the best dive sites in the world close by, so thats a bonus.

Hope this is enuf for you to go on? If you require anymore information then please feel free to drop me a line!

Regards, Martin.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
110 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

Julie and Paul,

Maaya do not offer trips to other Islands apart from the weekly trip to Fishermans Island. This is a typical Maldivian village where they knock out tourist stuff, not my idea of fun but if you are into that kinda thing then fair play to yer, just seems a little bit staged when you get there.

The watersports are as follows: Canoeing, Wind-Surfing and Catamaran (Sorry for my spelling). The canoes are free along with the wind-surfing but the catamaran is chargeable. Not sure on the cost, maybe about $20 an hour?

As was said earlier in the thread, there is no large surf on the particular island, you would have to google to see where that would be. I do know they had some surfing championships in the Maldives not too long ago but Im not sure on the location.

Hope this helps? If you require anymore info, please feel to drop me a line or visit the site.

Regards, Martin.

www.maayafushi.co.uk

9. Re: Best time of year to go to Maaya....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 19, 2009